Associate - Construction Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work:
Construction is core to what we do and our team enjoys a formidable reputation across the industry. We consistently win panel appointments for major public and private sector clients nationwide.
What you'll be doing:
You can expect to be involved in:
- Proceedings in the TCC
- Alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication, mediation and the resolution of claims under the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes
- Dispute avoidance and risk management
- Contractual interpretation
- Professional negligence
- Domestic projects in the main but with the opportunity to become involved in international matters
In addition you will be expected to:
- Play an active role in business development and work to raise the firm's profile and help win new business
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices and other practice areas, and travel as required
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental training sessions
- Initiate, build and maintain effective client relationships
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at difference levels. In particular for this role we require:
- Drive, enthusiasm and vision
- Proven ability to manage files
- Flexibility and can-do approach
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach
- Demonstrable passion for business development
- Qualified solicitor with at least 3 – 5 years' post qualification experience in construction litigation
- Knowledge of JCT, FIDIC and NEC Excellent academics and training.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.