Data Protection Analyst - 12 Month FTC
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area: Risk & Compliance – Data Governance
Role: Data Protection Analyst – 12 Month FTC
Reporting to: Data Governance Manager
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, working 8.5 hours a day including an hour for lunch, between the hours of 09:00 -17:30. However, you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties
With the increased focus on Data Protection globally, this role is a key position within the firm. The role holder will be well placed to play an active role in the firm. This newly created role allows for growth and progression and will suit someone who has a passion for Data Protection and Privacy and a desire to see it in action within a global firm.
- Annual review of all processes that involve personal data.
- Work with the Data Governance Manager and Head of Data to develop a Data Retention policy.
- Assist the firm in meeting retention deadlines.
- Assist the Data Governance Manager in rolling out Data Protection training and be an advocate of data protection best practice across the firm.
- Play an active part in responding to data breaches, including out of hours, and maintain all documentation and records as required.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of data breach drills for the firm.
- Play an active part in responding to Data Subjects' requests.
- Assist the Data Governance Manager in reviewing client terms.
- Develop and maintain a matrix of global Data Protection requirements.
- Assist business units to complete Privacy Impact Assessments.
- Review Privacy Impact Assessments and maintain register of all PIAs.
- Keep up to date with global Privacy laws.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- A strong interest in and in depth understanding of Data Protection legal landscape.
- An ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Strong organisational skills and able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and business awareness.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to liaise and communicate effectively at all levels across the firm and offices.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and use initiative.
- Keen interest in knowing the business and lateral/analytical thinking.
- A proactive and flexible attitude.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience of a similar role in a professional services company would be advantageous.
- Recognised Data Protection qualification or certification.
- Experience of working in a global team.