Associate - Environmental, Health and Safety
Competitive Salary and Benefits Package
Role Location: Sheffield S1
Our Growth, Your Future.
The DLA Piper team operates globally across more than 40 countries, but we’re still locally connected.
This is your opportunity to join our market-leading Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) team who work together to shape modern EHS law.
The growing team will offer you the widest platform to progress your career and you will enjoy a uniquely dynamic range of international work. You will be supported by one of the largest and strongest teams globally to build your practice.
Find out more about how to build your future with us.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is an opportunity to join our leading Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) team who work together to shape modern EHS law.
We are one of the largest EHS teams internationally and can offer candidates the experience to support our local, national and international client base, as part of our One UK Team. This role will be based in Sheffield
You will be involved in designing innovative and practical solutions to our client’s complex problems on a range of legal issue arising from the laws and policies governing environmental protection, energy, natural resources, health and safety at work, and product safety.
Recent work has included:
- Advising an international aggregates business on remediation notices in connection with the clean-up of an aquifer which had been used as a drinking water supply before becoming contaminated
- Advising the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on the safety and environmental issues relating to the redundant Teesside integrated iron and steel works site
- Advising various manufacturing, retail and hospitality and leisure clients in relation to Covid-19 and return to work related matters often on an international basis
Key areas of responsibility:
Candidates will have a broad diet of work, that will include, but not be limited to:
- Advising on all aspects of environmental, health and safety and product safety regulatory work
- Working with the firm’s transactional, projects and other teams to provide specialist SHE input on matters
- Drafting, reviewing and amending a range of documents including transactional documentation, statements under caution and regulatory advice
- Liaising and taking instruction from clients
- Attending client meetings
- Legal research
We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies. We have however given an indicative PQE as an approximate guide for applicants. Candidates who have between 0 to 3 years PQE are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to undertake this role.
- Candidates will have legal experience gained in a leading regional or City firm
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of the technical issues that are key to our clients
- Experience supporting on environmental and health and safety matters with experience in product stewardship matters seen as an advantage
- Drafts documents using a commercial, client focused style
- Complies with professional standards and all relevant regulatory obligations
- Complies with the firm's systems, policies and procedures in all matters - including compliance, financial systems and time recording
- Knows and understands how to best utilise information and research resources
- Commercially astute and stays current on key legal and business news
- Excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team-working
- Provides a professional, quality service in a timely manner, and responds effectively to requests from internal and external clients
- Understands positive client support
- Works co-operatively in a team, sharing information and knowledge
- Manages time effectively and efficiently
- Seeks to manage own utilisation wherever possible to meet individual and team targets
- Takes ownership for achieving agreed objectives
- Recognises and seizes opportunities for the firm, including repeat business
- Builds and develops own network of internal and external contacts
- Awareness of business development initiatives in the department and identifies ways to contribute
- Maintains a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure
- Exhibits behaviour consistent with the firm's values and builds relationships based on respect, trust and integrity
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper we are working hard to ensure that our talent pool is diverse. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual.
We know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued and that's why we strive to be a business where everyone can thrive, develop and succeed based on their talent. Our aim is to build an inclusive and supportive culture where all our people feel they belong and can achieve their best.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best.
If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations, should they be required.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.