Solicitor or Associate - Civil Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise. As a result we are looking to recruit a Solicitor/Associate at 2-5 years' PQE to join our litigation team in Exeter.
We encourage our lawyers to think beyond the law and into the commercial by acquiring excellent technical expertise, client management and profile raising skills.
We know that the best solutions are found when you're collaborating which is why you will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners not just in your immediate team but throughout the whole department.
What you'll be doing:
Caseload will consist of a variety of matters, to include:
- Handling a varied caseload of legal expense backed dispute claims involving (but not limited to) property, construction and consumer contracts;
- Reviewing and advising on legal expense cover; ;
- Assisting partners and senior solicitors with more substantial disputes;
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Participation actively in marketing initiatives, including training days / seminars;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures and service level agreements;
- Monitoring and provision of management information to insurer client;
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Meet targets as agreed. Manage files, time and billing efficiently and in a cost-effective manner;
- Active participation in marketing initiatives, including attending conferences, giving and assisting with presentations, writing articles and creating marketing materials; and
- Training, supervision and development of junior staff (where appropriate).
What you'll need:
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this grade. In particular for this role we require. In particular for this role we require:
- Solicitor with 2-5 years' post qualification experience in Civil Litigation;
- Experience of supervising/managing junior colleagues;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Demonstrable passion for business development;
- Flexibility and a can do attitude;
- Excellent academic record;
- Experience of running cases from start to finish;
- Managing client relationships.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.