Legal Counsel - 1 Year FTC
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
The firm's In-House General Counsel & Risk team manage AML, Data Protection, conflicts analysis, Code of Conduct issues, complaints and claims. The team work together, to maintain and promote the highest standards of compliance, by continual improvement of the risk management and legal and regulatory compliance at the firm. With a cross-functional and internal advisory role, they work closely with the firms' managing partners, the board and others.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for an experienced commercial contracts lawyer to join as Legal Counsel on a 1 year fixed term maternity contract. This role will involve working in partnership will all levels of the firm. It is a specialist role providing non-contentious advice. The team are based in London, Birmingham and Manchester but we are happy to consider candidates across all our UK office locations.
What you'll be doing
- Providing proactive solutions to protect and promote the firms' reputation, acting as a first point of contact for all internal queries relating to client terms (whether panel terms, bespoke contracts or outside counsel guidelines) and internal supplier contracts;
- Terms of engagement - managing bespoke client contracts, Outside Counsel Guidelines and the firm's retainer suite of documents
- Support the analysis of client terms for the bids team, as well as, the wider firm including prioritising the important issues and making suggested changes;
- Responsible for the central record of client terms (with administrative assistance support);
- Liaising with practice teams and departments in respect of these terms;
- Other ad hoc projects as time permits such as policy writing;
- Reviewing supplier contracts for the business support teams, improving our process for, and procurement of, relevant third party services;
- Providing a wider understanding or risk and compliance to support colleagues in the team, where required;
- Representing the firm at external conferences or other stakeholder events.
What you'll need
Candidates for this position will be expected to have worked, or be working, as a commercial contracts lawyer in practice or commerce & industry. Ideally you will understand public sector procurement but if not training will be given. A commitment to fostering best practice and understanding the world of risk and compliance will be expected. In particular for this role we require:
- Confident, approachable, hardworking, robust team player who is comfortable handling a range of commercial queries and providing advice direct to the business;
- Ability to build trusted relationships with the key stakeholders within the business at all levels;
- Excellent interpersonal, written communication and independent judgement, as you will be required to work closely with partners and senior management on matters which are sensitive and are time critical which could affect the reputation of the firm;
- Self-directed, ability to manage own work levels
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
Experience & Qualifications
- Solid academic background
- Qualified Solicitor with substantial demonstrable commercial contracts experience from private practice, or in-house;
- Experience in regulatory compliance, ideally in an large UK law firm or professional services environment;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and guidance;
- A sound working knowledge of the SRA code of conduct, and of data protection
- The highest standard of professional ethics
- IT proficient
- A desire to learn and broaden skills
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusion. All applications will be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role and will be treated equally irrespective of Ethnicity, Gender (including Trans and non-binary) Race, Disability, Religion and sexual orientation.