Head of Legal & Enforcement
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced and talented lawyer to join our Birmingham team as a Head of Legal and Enforcement.
What is in it for you?
- Work for a cutting-edge legal regulator at an exciting time; developing our regulatory approach through work on novel and high-profile cases
- Lead a team of legal professionals to deliver high quality legal advice and casework, ensuring outcomes that meet the public interest
- Play a key part in developing and maintaining high standards of decision-making and case progression across the SRA
- Demonstrate your expert professional judgment and legal knowledge through personal conduct of the most serious and complex cases
We are looking for an accomplished lawyer to lead a team of lawyers and paralegals in delivering high quality regulatory, disciplinary and litigation casework.
The Legal and Enforcement team deals with contentious matters before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal and the High Court. It also gives advice and case direction internally on a range of issues to our investigation and other regulatory teams. Reporting into the Director, you will lead a team of up to 15 legal professionals.
With oversight of highly complex and high-profile investigations and prosecutions, you will be accountable for cases, ensuring cases are investigated progressed effectively and that decisions and outcomes are achieved in the public interest and in line with the SRA's Enforcement Strategy. You will achieve this through handling and overseeing cases as well as providing and overseeing case direction to regulatory teams across the SRA.
You will lead and support teams of lawyers and investigators to make consistent and appropriate decisions, by sharing your expertise to promote a high-performance culture. You will demonstrate your ability to quickly analyse and absorb information, focusing on the salient facts and issues, weighing evidence and issues to reach timely, fair, clear and reasoned judgments.
As a proactive communicator, you will appreciate the benefit of collaboration, with both internal and external stakeholders. Externally, you could be involved in presenting at stakeholder meetings, seminars and conferences. Internally you will be providing legal advice and expertise both orally and in writing as well as presenting papers and presentations to committees, boards, and staff. You will exercise your sound judgment by identifying and responding to legal, practical and policy risks, demonstrating an understanding of sensitive issues and escalating appropriately and effectively, including to the General Counsel.
To succeed in this role, you will need superb organisational skills and be able to comfortably and effectively manage your own time and that of others. As a credible people leader, you will be familiar with managing a team to handle cases in a KPI driven operational environment.
What we are looking for
- Solicitor or barrister with an exceptional understanding of regulatory procedures and practices, litigation and complex legal casework
- Experience of successfully leading teams of high performing lawyers and/or senior caseworkers
- Extensive experience of delivering and directing complex casework or litigation
- Proven experience providing high quality, strategic and impartial legal advice, with an understanding of sensitive issues
- Practical experience of case analysis and legal drafting in a highly complex or high profile, contentious environment
- An adept communicator, capable of explaining complex legal or technical issues clearly and at all levels
We do not specify PQE for any of our vacancies, but anticipate that this opportunity will suit someone operating at Senior Associate or Partner level (or equivalent).
Please review the attached Role Profile to understand in more detail about the responsibilities and requirements of the role.
To apply for this role, please submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you meet the knowledge, skills and experience requirements of the role.
The closing date for applications is 17 November and interviews will take place from 28 November onwards. Interviews could be held in either our Birmingham or London office.
We offer a comprehensive flexible benefits package, a friendly working environment in a great city centre location, and the opportunity to develop your career in a well-recognised, dynamic and professional organisation. There are a broad range of opportunities for training and skills progression to further your career.
We are supportive of helping you achieve a balance between your personal and professional life and are happy to discuss scope for flexible working arrangements prior to interview.
The minimum number of hours we would seek to offer is 30 hours, over a four-day working week. The maximum number of hours we would seek to offer is 35 hours, over a five-day working week.
If you would like to discuss the role, our culture or scope to work flexibly, we can arrange for this to happen - contact us to arrange a chat, in confidence at
More searches like this
- Solicitors – Private Practice Lawyer Regulatory / Compliance jobs in Birmingham
- Solicitors – In-House Lawyer Regulatory / Compliance jobs in Birmingham
- Solicitors – Public Sector Lawyer Regulatory / Compliance jobs in Birmingham
- Other specialist roles Lawyer Regulatory / Compliance jobs in Birmingham
- Barristers Lawyer Regulatory / Compliance jobs in Birmingham