Project Finance Associate
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering excellence, in all that we do. Today, we’re continuing to break new ground. By embracing new ways of thinking and integrating technology into our everyday work, we’ve been named as the Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe by the Financial Times five times.
Department purpose and structure
Allen & Overy is the world's leading Projects, Energy and Infrastructure practice. With over 70 partners and 250 lawyers worldwide, we have, since 2000, consistently closed more project finance deals globally than any other law firm.
We advise the most sophisticated sponsors, project and construction companies, debt providers and governments across a wide array of sectors, including oil & gas (upstream, midstream and downstream), power generation (thermal, nuclear and renewable) and transmission, social infrastructure, transport, telecommunications, waste & water, mining and natural resources.
We provide our clients with a totally integrated service on all aspects of projects work in both the primary and secondary markets, drawing on and marshalling Allen & Overy’s specialist skills in relation to, among other things, project development, deal-structuring, bankability, equity strategy, debt financing and refinancing (including bank, capital markets, ECA and multilateral), hedging, project contracts, construction and regulatory compliance.
We are recognised as ‘top-tier’ in all the major legal directories and the group's pre-eminence in the market has been further evidenced in recent years by the following industry accolades:
• Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Partners, Associates, Trainees and support staff
• Business development team
• The wider A&O fee-earning community across key departments (especially corporate and capital markets) and overseas offices
Role and responsibilities
• Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
• Providing strategic guidance to clients through strong market awareness and an understanding of key objectives
• Managing client expectations, deadlines and project delivery appropriately
• Collaborating across teams, departments and jurisdictions in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
• Matter (or sub-section) management and maximising financial contribution
• Leadership and supervision of junior team members
• Recognising opportunities for business development, assistance with and implementation of group and firm-wide business development strategies
• Proactive engagement with clients both on and off deal with a view towards building and maintaining strong client relationships
• Legal and sector knowledge development and sharing (internally and externally)
• Assisting with billing activities and timely invoicing
• Qualified lawyer within a complex international organisation; 3-4PQE
• Outstanding academic credentials
• Resilient self-starter with the intellectual curiosity and versatility to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
• Experience in at least one of:
o Project finance related work; or
o Infrastructure acquisition work
• Evidence of a keen interest in Projects, Energy and Infrastructure allied to strong technical knowledge across multiple disciplines
• Highly motivated team player with excellent organisational skills
• Clear and concise verbal and written communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills and a good eye for detail
• Entrepreneurial drive
• Strong commercial/business acumen
• Clear understanding of law firm economics and an understanding of the firm's strategic priorities
• A person of sound judgement and core values, able to establish a high level of credibility
Who we are looking for
The group is currently recruiting for mid-level associates with a broad skill base and relevant sector experience. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a strong track record in project finance or infrastructure acquisition work. We are always looking for talented Project associates to join our London and international offices.