Business Development Executive - Corporate
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We currently have 27 offices in 16 countries and a number of referral relationships that enable us to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 420 partners and a further 1,450 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, we are able to respond to our clients wherever and whenever they need us.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Ashurst regards an inclusive and diverse environment as critical to its business success. Accordingly, the firm encourages applications from candidates representative of all talent pools. Find out more about our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy on the "About Us" section of our website.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – Business Development
Role: Business Development Executive
Reporting to: Business Development Manager
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 09:00 - 17:30, however you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
Department/ Role Overview:
We have an opportunity for an enthusiastic and committed Business Development Executive to join our global Business Development team.
This role will form part of a team providing high quality business development and marketing initiatives. This position is a broad role encompassing the full BD/marketing mix and will see the successful applicant work across a number of initiatives and projects as determined by the business development function leaders.
Responsibilities cross the entire BD and marketing mix, including CRM, industry strategy, pursuits and proposals, events and significant ad-hoc projects (client targeting, practice growth initiatives etc).
Client and Market leadership
- Supporting the delivery of the practice and industry BD plans. This includes our go-to-market strategy and our approach to industry publications/briefings, alignment with industry bodies, prioritisation and organisation of practice/industry conferences, and general events and profile raising initiatives across the industries.
- Proactively tracking client and practice/industry news and trends, spotting revenue generation opportunities and working with the BD Manager in driving those opportunities to their ultimate conclusion.
- Supporting the Priority Client Programme by assisting on the implementation and delivery of priority client account plans and relationship agreement commitments.
- Working remotely with BD and legal teams based in London – occasional travel to other Ashurst offices (particularly London) and events as required.
- Provide tactical and creative advice to partners in the relevant team to help drive their marketing/BD efforts, regularly reviewing and reporting on progress versus objectives.
- Assist in the management of business development budgets for the BD team, ensuring spend is aligned to BD strategy and business plans, and challenging partners or providing alternative ideas where necessary.
- Maintain a series of marketing materials (brochures, flyers etc), includes writing content and liaising with the design and editing team as required.
- Leading the distribution of client publications (newsletters, briefing notes etc), includes compilation and management of mailing lists and managing distribution logistics.
- With the events team, plan and manage events of all descriptions, from hospitality events to seminars from inception to completion, to ensure maximum impact and ROI.
- Maintain key information systems such as CRM and intranet to share and capture strategic client relationship information.
- Website maintenance, ensuring content is as up to date and relevant.
- Manage directory/league table submissions, ensure all submissions are delivered on time.
- Keep up to date with relevant trade/industry press, highlighting articles of interest to the Partners and proactively work with the PR team on media opportunities, reporting back any coverage to the Partners.
- Contribute to central marketing and business development initiatives, as required.
- Assist the partners in developing new business through pitching; providing background research, collating information on the firm's experience and producing focused business proposals highlighting the teams expertise.
- Manage the production of pitches with great attention to detail and to agreed deadlines
- Collaborate effectively with the Bid team to create unique ideas, solutions or approaches to deliver winning pitches.
- Providing practice, industry or client related input, as required, on other pitches across the Ashurst network.
- Maintaining BD systems to capture pitch metrics, our pitch win/loss ratio and reasons for success or otherwise across both industries.
- Ensuring that post matter debriefs are completed for strategically important pitches.
- Monitor market/industry trends to ensure that Ashurst's pitch capability keeps pace with competitors and takes advantage of new pitch techniques and technologies, and makes recommendations for change.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Front line Business Development experience - ideally, will have worked within in a law firm or professional services environment.
- Ability to juggle a busy and varied workload, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Experience in effectively delegating work to other support functions through clear communication
- Experience of managing and supporting large panel pitches and significant tenders.
- Track record in managing the delivery of commercial thought leadership pieces from either an industry, product.
- Determination and commitment to ensure successful completion of projects.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written skills.
- Lateral thinking and the ability to overcome obstacles.
- Team player.