Peerpoint consultant lawyer
Who we are and what we do
Peerpoint is Allen & Overy’s global platform for self-directed consultant lawyers who want to access the best work, clients, resources and bespoke support, whilst working as self-employed lawyers with Allen & Overy and directly with clients. To find out more, please visit www.peerpoint.com and download our UK candidate brochure.
We are currently looking for highly-skilled and self-driven lawyers with top tier experience in the following areas:
- Banking and finance: general lending, leveraged finance, funds and asset management
- International capital markets: derivatives, structured finance, debt and equity capital markets, securitisation and corporate trust and agency
- Regulatory: financial services regulatory requirements and reform e.g. EMIR/MiFIDII
- Litigation and dispute resolution: banking and finance disputes and regulatory investigations
- Corporate: M&A and reorganisation, general corporate advisory and equity capital markets including IPOs
- Employment: employment litigation, investigations and corporate support
Successful applicants will:
- have a minimum of four years' post-qualification experience at a magic circle law firm or a firm ranked as top tier in their area of expertise;
- preferably have in-house legal experience at leading financial services institutions (directly or as a secondee);
- have a commitment to building a career as a self-employed consultant and a drive to operate at a high level whilst working in this way;
- have a strong consultant mindset, including a flexible and adaptable outlook and approach;
- have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to interface at all levels, building strong relationships internally and externally;
- be resilient, autonomous and highly credible, with strong commercial/business acumen and exemplary client service ethic and commitment;
- have excellent academic credentials;
- have a practising certificate (or equivalent) which entitles them to practise as a lawyer in the UK; and
- have a right to work and reside in the UK
Please note that, due to the high volume of applications, it is our policy not to provide detailed personal feedback at the application stage.
Examples of recent opportunities
Client assignments can range from stepping into a team to support a project to taking on a senior manager role working on major transactions or regulatory change projects or implementation. Assignments are usually at least six months in duration and tend to require you to work a minimum of four days per week.
You may also have the opportunity to work within Allen & Overy on an ad-hoc basis, supporting teams when needed or joining them for fixed periods to work on a deal.
Examples of recent opportunities include:
- a leveraged finance specialist providing legal advice to the business team of a financial institution;
- a derivatives lawyer supporting a bank’s credit trading and credit exotics businesses, in an advisory role covering credit derivatives, clearing and regulatory initiatives (e.g. EMIR and MIFIDII);
- a senior lawyer supporting a financial institution on the MiFIDII regulatory implementation project;
- a mid-level litigator assisting a high-profile bank in respect of an FX investigation;
- a mid-level lawyer supporting Allen & Overy’s corporate practice on a large scale, multi-jurisdictional disposal and reorganisation; and
- a senior employment lawyer supporting a global financial institution on investigations including whistleblowing.