Associate - Data Privacy, London
Purpose of role
Succeeding in today’s technology industry requires a deep understanding of the sector and a keen knowledge of the business issues driving change. Rely on Dentons' Technology lawyers in the UK for extensive legal capabilities and experience developed through decades working with a wide range of participants in the sector—from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers. Among our lawyers are computer programmers and legal counsel who have worked for leading technology companies.
Having worked at the cutting edge of sourcing and technology work for many years, our UK-based strategic sourcing practice comprises not only authoritative lawyers in the field, but also thought leaders. Turn to us for support in structuring and negotiating sourcing solutions that will meet your business objectives. Obtain strategic counsel that delivers cost savings and transformational benefits for your organisation.
World-leading corporations and government entities have turned to us for advice over the years, and we have worked on many of the largest and most innovative sourcing deals across an array of industry sectors. Tap into Dentons' deep know-how when it comes to technology projects in the areas of media, telecoms, energy, transportation, infrastructure, financial institutions, government, health care, real estate, hotels, retail and more.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Privacy and Data Protection Assistant/Associate to join our highly-ranked Privacy and Cyber Security group in London.
Dentons has one of the longest-standing dedicated Privacy and Cyber Security teams of any firm in the City
Candidates will ideally have 4 to 6 years' pqe but we will consider applications from candidates outside this range with suitable skills and knowledge.
The 6-partner strong group, led by Nick Graham, is ranked "Band 1", and has a strong teamwork ethic, a focus on subject matter expertise and a first class client management approach. It is essential that candidates are team players, are committed to developing personally and professionally and show a genuine interest in data privacy and cyber issues and developments. A determination to deliver a high quality focused product to our clients is essential, as is maintaining and developing client relationships.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending a range of Privacy / Data Protection documentation, policies and procedures
- Advising clients on a variety of Privacy and Data Protection matters, including on the data protection and cyber implications of the deployment of cutting edge AI and blockchain technology
- Supporting clients on global projects, including:
- Managing large privacy compliance framework projects and advising on the implementation of new laws such as GDPR, ePrivacy Regulation
- Developing and implementing projects and work plans to assist
- Applications for Binding Corporate Rules and model clauses projects
- Responding to cyber incidents including advising on breach notification requirements
- Assisting regulatory enforcement investigations
- Negotiating data privacy related contractual documents
- Having an understanding of DP laws outside the UK
- Managing local lawyers
- Contribute to BD and marketing activities
- Coach and mentor junior members of the team
- Provide thought leadership and raise the profile of the firm externally
Required experience, skills and attributes
Having obtained some experience in all, or some, of the following would be preferable but is not essential:
- Advising clients on a range of Privacy / Data Protection documentation and legal matters
- Working within a top tier UK or international firm
- Strong academic track record
- Experience gained in house within an industry leading organisation would be beneficial
- Advising on GDPR
- Managing global privacy compliance frameworks covering multiple privacy laws (e.g. GDPR, CCPA etc)
- Cyber risk and data breach / dealing with the DPAs
- Data transfers
- Data localisation
- Adtech, consumer data exploitation and strategy
- Internet of Things and connected devices
- DSAR and Individual Rights
- DP Audits and risk assessments
- Direct Marketing
- HR data compliance
- ICO /WP29 Guidance and case law
- Information Security
- Proven track record of marketing and business development
- Experienced in writing articles and speaking at conferences
- Active involvement in industry groups
- Strong client facing skills
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Diversity & Inclusion
Essential to our success as a global law firm is our ability to attract and retain the best talent from a diverse range of backgrounds. We want a work environment where everyone can reach their potential and we have an inclusive culture which respects individual differences.
We undertake and support a number of internal and external initiatives aimed at increasing diversity within the profession and we encourage all our partners and staff to get involved. We welcome you to learn more about diversity and inclusion at Dentons.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
If you are interested in applying for this position, we welcome direct applications via our careers page, but if you have any questions beforehand please email email@example.com – Enquiries only please, applications will not be accepted via email.
Please note that we will not accept unsolicited CV's sent to the business, nor will we accept any associated terms of business.