Associate / Senior Associate, Environment
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We are looking to hire an experienced Environmental Lawyer to join our highly regarded London based Planning and Environment Group.
The Group forms part of the Real Estate practice, one of the largest practices in the City, and also works closely with the energy, transport, infrastructure and corporate transactions practices and the firm's international offices. A significant proportion of the Group's work has an international element.
The Environment and Safety team acts for public and private sector clients on a broad range of environmental and safety matters, regularly advising on energy, transport and infrastructure projects; providing standalone strategic and regulatory advice; and supporting property, finance and corporate transactions. The team regularly advises clients on:
- Waste and resources management
- Environmental consents and approvals
- Enforcement and sanctions
- Health and safety
- REACH and product regulation
- Contaminated land and redevelopment
- Climate change, energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Environmental and Social Governance
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced environmental lawyer to join a collegiate and growing team offering excellent career development, responsibility and top quality work in a high performance and supportive environment.
Essential skills and experience:
- Mid to senior level lawyer with experience in an international law firm
- Excellent technical and analytical skills across contractual drafting, due diligence and providing regulatory and strategic advice
- A desire to build on client relationships and develop own client network
- Manage projects and transactions, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills
- Dedicated to understanding clients' needs and delivering a first class service
- Understanding the industries and the commercial challenges and opportunities in which our clients operate
- Enthusiasm for the subject area and proactive, organised, and enjoys working in a team
- Advising corporate, investor and public sector clients on environmental and safety regulatory matters
- Property and M&A transactions and large scale infrastructure project work
- Advising on enforcement action, regulatory investigations and liability exposure
An established Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for lawyers to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.