Senior Legal Project Manager
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We currently have 26 offices in 16 countries and a number of referral relationships that enable us to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 420 partners and a further 1,450 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, we are able to respond to our clients wherever and whenever they need us.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Ashurst regards an inclusive and diverse environment as critical to its business success. Accordingly, the firm encourages applications from candidates representative of all talent pools. Find out more about our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy on the "About Us" section of our website.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – Ashurst Advance
Role: Senior Legal Project Manager
Location: Based at Ashurst's London office
Reporting to: Head of Legal Project Management & Process Improvement
Hours of work -
Monday to Friday, 09.30 to 17.30. You will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
Department/ Role Overview:
The Legal Project Management team, part of Ashurst Advance, help to drive greater transparency, predictability and certainty in legal matters through the provision of effective project management support.
We are a busy global team with legal project managers located in London, Glasgow and Sydney. We now have an opportunity for a Senior Legal Project Manager to join our London team.
Your role will involve working closely with clients, partners, lawyers and business support staff to manage the efficient delivery of legal services. Primarily this will involve legal matters but will also include some internal firm projects and initiatives to further drive efficiency and profitability.
Key responsibilities include:
- Grow the LPM pipeline within the London office and support the Head of LPM & LPI manage the allocation of work to the LPM team
- Support the Head of LPM&LPI with the line management of the LPM's
- Deliver LPM training to associates and clients
- Act as an LPM, process and change advisor to Partners, associates and clients to ensure efficient delivery solutions are deployed
- Support Client Relationship Partners and Business Development with pitching through the provision of high-level scoping, scheduling, resourcing and pricing expertise
- Support the Responsible Partner by working in consultation with the client, legal team and support services to prepare detailed matter plans and cost estimates.
- Manage the matter teams and third parties to successfully deliver the legal objectives and agreed deliverables.
- Develop and manage project trackers
- Implement and manage RAID logs.
- Plan and manage communications as part of the matter team
- Track progress against matter plans, budget and agreed KPIs, alerting relevant stakeholders promptly to variances and recommending changes and developing contingency plans where necessary.
- Arrange post-closing matter reviews and lessons learned exercises.
- Work in collaboration with the other Ashurst Advance teams, Expertise and other business support staff to implement a range of initiatives to improve efficiency and profitability.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Considerable experience of project management in consultancy or professional services firms
- Experience of the whole project lifecycle and covering scoping, scheduling, costing, resourcing, communications, quality and risk
- Excellent client facing skills along with a track record of establishing and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent presentation, written, communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced organisational and influencing skills, flexibility of style, attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high pressured, detail-oriented environment
- Financial literary/understanding of law firm financials and performance metrics
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment with excellent troubleshooting, decision making and follow-through skills
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Microsoft Project, Excel and PowerPoint
- PMI® PMP, AMP or equivalent project management certifications
Desired skills and experience
- Experience of working within the legal industry
- Project management of legal matters or legal-related initiatives
- Working with virtual teams in a global environment
- Qualifications and experience in change management and process improvement such as PROSCI® and Lean Six Sigma