Our Incentives (or share schemes) lawyers have expertise in both HMRC tax-advantaged share schemes and unapproved arrangements. We advise on all the tax planning and corporate issues, which relate to the establishment and operation of incentive schemes, both for private and public companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your work will involve designing, drafting and implementing incentive plans and share plans, as well as advising on various aspects of employment taxes, including PAYE and NICs. This includes:
- Advising on EMI share options;
- Advising on all-employee share schemes (SIPs and SAYE Schemes);
- Advising on long-term incentive plans and phantom share plans;
- Advising on the tax implications of management equity incentives; and
- Advising on the impact of termination of employment on share incentives.
- Reviewing company accounts to determine the eligibility of a company to establish and make awards under tax-advantaged share option schemes;
- Review accounts to assist in the determination of a company’s employment taxes liabilities (particularly in relation to IR35/off-payroll working);
- Review company accounts to determine how employment-related securities and options are reported for accounting purposes in order to determine the availability of associated corporation tax relief;
- Review company accounts to determine how contributions to EBTs are reported for accounting purposes to determine the availability of associated corporation tax relief;
- Review trust accounts to determine inheritance tax liabilities in connection with the operation of employee benefit trusts.
- Advise companies/employers on PAYE and NICs accounting and reporting to HMRC in connection with employment related securities and share options generally and in the context of due diligence on corporate transactions;
- Advise companies/employers on PAYE and NICs accounting in the context of remuneration and benefits packages, termination packages and of off-payroll working;
- Advise companies/employers on the availability of corporation tax reliefs in connection with employment related securities and share options;
- Advise individuals on income tax, NICs and capital gains tax liabilities in connection with employment related securities and share options and termination packages;
- Stay abreast of all changes in tax law and precedent:
- To attend relevant tax training courses (both internal and external);
- Report to the team on tax case law developments;
- Read and report to the team on changes to HMRC guidance and HMRC consultation documents.
- Liaise with accountants and other specialists are in the context of (i) disputes over share valuation for tax purposes, (ii) EBT settlement arrangements; (iii) the application of the off-payroll working regime.
You may also write articles on incentives issues and present widely at both industry and client events.
Qualification, skills and experience
We are growing the team and therefore looking to recruit a driven and ambitious incentives professional who is either a qualified solicitor with incentives (share scheme) experience or an accountancy professional.
- A qualified solicitor with incentives (share scheme) experience or an ATT qualified accountant.
- Ideally, studying towards becoming a Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA).
- You will need a minimum of 2 years of incentives (share scheme) experience.
As well as being commercially focused and technically strong, we are looking for someone who wants to take responsibility quickly in an atmosphere that supports and rewards commitment and collaboration.
We will consider both lawyers and incentives professionals but a focus on detail and the quality of client delivery is critical. We would look to support you in developing your skills rapidly and in taking on early responsibility for both transactional and advisory work.
You should also be a strong team player and be able to manage a complex and varied workload effectively.
The role is based in our Bristol headquarters.
Salary and Benefits
From £35,000 - £40,000 depending on experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package.
For more details, please contact email@example.com Tel: +44 (0) 117 307 6942.
To apply, please click on the link.
Monday 6th May 2019
Burges Salmon is an Equal Opportunities employer.
No Agencies Please