PQE: 3-8 PQE
Location: Flexible - Leeds, Manchester or London
Our competition team is recruiting at all levels. This is an entrepreneurial team which has achieved sustained growth for a number of years. That means you can expect exciting work, significant responsibility and the opportunity to make your mark with new and existing client relationships.
Highly ranked in all of the directories, the team has an enviable client base, which includes the Department for Transport, Dixons Carphone, JD Sports, GVC, Nationwide, Network Rail, RBS, Sainsbury's, SSE and South East Water. It is currently representing main parties on both of the CMA's market investigations (funerals and investment consultants), is involved in approximately half of the CMA's ongoing antitrust investigations and has a number of ongoing mergers before both the EC and the CMA. The team has been called out on both UK and EC dawn raids in the past two years and is particularly strong in competition litigation, with high profile cases including representing the Road Haulage Association on its record-breaking opt-in claim, as well as parties in power cables and a number of other high-value (confidential) cases. Earlier this year, the team represented Network Rail against an action brought by Achilles Information Limited in the CAT alleging breaches of Chapter I and Chapter II prohibitions.
The team is looking for Associates and Managing Associates at all levels, to help to grow the practice and develop its key client relationships. Candidates could be considered for any of our London, Leeds or Manchester offices.
- This role requires a solid foundation and strong experience in competition law.
- The candidate might be in private practice, in-house or at a regulator such as the CMA or FCA.
- The successful candidate will be an active member of the team and will expected to have strong technical experience gained in a leading competition practice.
- The candidate must also have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop client relationships and contribute to the development of a team that has an impressive breadth of clients.
- Some experience in competition litigation would be helpful (but not essential).
- All candidates will be expected to demonstrate a track record of strong performance against the general competencies for their relevant Associate or Managing Associate level, as described on the careers pages of our website.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
The successful candidate will have:
- excellent academic achievement with a minimum 2:1 degree
- experience of competition law gained within a strong, well-recognised team
- clear understanding of the operation and structure of a Top 20 law firm
- ability to achieve continuous improvement
- strong interpersonal and business development skills