Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm providing clients with the full range of business law services across the world.
As such, we respond to a large number of Requests for Proposals (RfPs) from both existing and prospective clients. The job of the EMEA Strategic Bids Team is to be the primary centre of excellence in leading these responses.
The team is a well-regarded strategic bidding function created to lead, drive and support the winning of new and retained business.
They manage multi-jurisdictional/multi-practice area RfP responses, collating and presenting information from across the business in a way which truly answers client requirements.
Expanding on this success, to further enhance the support offered to fee earners and to meet more complex/evolving client requirements, requires the appointment of a driven, ambitious and conscientious bid manager.
This is an exciting time to join a fast-paced, dynamic team who are seen as specialist bid advisers in an extremely competitive environment
This is a high profile role reporting to the EMEA Head of Bids and the Senior Strategic Bids Manager.
Your primary role will be to lead, project manage and draft RfPs (deemed of strategic importance) throughout the full bid lifecycle. You will ensure all bids are delivered efficiently, consistently and professionally.
A large focus of this role will be to work with the EMEA Head of Bids to champion, drive and embed best practice across business development and fee earners. You will also liaise with the sector-specific Business Development teams, ensuring that responses are truly bespoke in terms of both client and relevant sector.
You will have extensive engagement with senior partners who lead top tier client relationships across the firm. This is something that you will need to be conscious of in your day-to-day activities.
Activities and responsibilities
- Lead qualification and compliance processes
- Lead and facilitate scoping / kick-off
- Lead on all aspects of bid response: planning, structure, format, content, messaging, proofing and submission
- Provide project management/document control for all areas of the bid
- Initiate client research
- Provide coaching and guidance to fee earners regarding client engagement throughout the bid lifecycle
- Develop an appropriate response strategy to ensure a bespoke response
- Challenge fee earner thinking where necessary
- Engage and matrix manage all contributing functions including: pricing, compliance, business development and knowledge
- Provide coaching for presentation rehearsals / Q&A sessions where necessary
- Lead client feedback
- Conduct internal debrief
- Manage housekeeping – updating bid systems for bid reporting and enhancing future content
- Embed best practice throughout the bid process and provide training and ad hoc coaching to Business Development colleagues to develop bid management skills as appropriate
Skills and Experience Required
Our primary requirement is that you have experience in managing complex bid responses across multiple practice areas and offices. You will need to be an excellent project manager with absolute attention to detail.
The ability to use bid management tools such as deliverables matrices, document trackers and Kick-Off plans is essential.
- Experience as a bid manager working on multi-jurisdictional/multi-office/multi-practice area bid responses
- Unrivalled attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines with excellent project management skills
- Ability to liaise confidently and build relationships with people of all levels, creating confidence in your approach
- Strong written English language skills for drafting, editing and proofing
- Agile approach to workload and demonstration of flexibility to meet the demands of a diverse global law firm
Nice to have
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- A self-starter who can work on own initiative and is proactive in developing ideas and solutions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Well-developed persuading and influencing skills
- Confident, assertive and resilient
- Relevant degree and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification
- Advanced IT skills including advanced Word and Microsoft Office packages