Senior Conflicts Lawyer
Purpose of role
To support the Conflicts Managers, in ensuring effective compliance controls and procedures are in place concerning conflicts of interest, the protection of confidential information and to ensure compliance with applicable legislative requirements and management of risk.
A Senior Conflicts Lawyer should be experienced in the below core risk processes:
• Handling conflict of interest checks of varying levels of complexity and across a range sectors and practices.
• Information barrier and document security procedures.
• Reviewing engagement letters, outside counsel terms and other engagement terms/contracts.
• Knowledgeable of sanctions and client due diligence issues.
• Drafting appropriate consent language for clients and partners to deal with conflict issues.
• Demonstration of a specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise on conflicts and risk related subjects.
• Will review a wide range of new business intake submissions,
• Act as a subject matter expert and collaborate with the Conflicts Managers on the resolution of more complex and strategic ethical and business issues based on existing procedures.
• Serve as a point of escalation for the wider conflicts team
• Provide a 'concierge' service to partners at the firm on conflicts issues.
• Prepare waivers/consents and information barriers/ethical screens.
• Reviews and adheres to Dentons’ internal compliance policies and procedures.
• Contributes to the department's 'know how' system.
• Reviews share dealing and external appointment applications.
• Supervise, motivate, coach and mentor team members in their professional development.
• Serve as a resource to department leadership and take responsibility for risk department projects.
• Assist with the recruitment process for conflict lawyers and analysts when required.
• Train and mentor junior staff.
• Other duties as may be assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position.
Required experience, skills and attributes
• Lawyer in good standing with relevant regulatory body or bar association with a minimum of 5 years professional experience.
• Relevant experience preferably acquired in an international law firm, although other professional services or financial services firms will be considered.
• Prior experience analyzing and resolving conflicts of interest and managing confidential information issues.
• Having an appreciation for industry standard conflicts applications, e.g. Open, Elite, Aderant.
• Ability to analyze medium to high difficulty legal issues, producing accurate and reasoned opinions on a range of regulatory issues.
• Able to critically review, update and amend firm policies and procedures in plain English.
Personal skills / attributes
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to interact positively at all levels within the firm and a good team player.
• Able to demonstrate excellent client/customer facing skills.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
• Methodical approach to work; takes an efficient and organised approach to dealing with complex issues.
• Able to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure, particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
• Able to deliver high quality work to tight deadlines.
• Able to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting.
• Can demonstrate initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions.
• Able to manage and delegate work in a supportive manner.
• Able to analyse and recognise the need for improvement to systems and suggest options for
improvement to the Head of Conflicts.
• Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the practice’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
• Able to be an ambassador for Dentons, being professional in outlook and attitude.
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com
We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please contact email@example.com