IT Subject Matter Expert - Finance/PMS Systems
About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide expert up-to-date technical knowledge on application implementation/support and operating processes for Gowling WLG's Finance systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
To act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for finance (and other systems where necessary) within the core technology platform area by:
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of chosen core technology platform systems and procedures plus any integrations/links with other BIS systems and external data sources
- Working with suppliers' support teams and relevant user groups to ensure strong, relevant and up-to-date product knowledge and helping to transfer this knowledge to other members of the BSC, A&I and SD teams (especially Service Delivery SMAs)
- Understanding technology trends and the practical application of existing, new, and emerging technologies to enable new and evolving operating processes for the business
- Analysing the technology industry, competitors and market trends, and determining (and sharing) their potential impact on core technology for the business
- Working with the Business Change team to deliver projects including any system upgrades and enabling enhanced functionality - working collaboratively with all colleagues throughout all stages of implementation through to user acceptance and ongoing support and maintenance
- Observing good data governance, system controls and documentation as per the firm’s policies
- Ensuring that system setup, configuration records and processes are documented and kept up to date
- Consulting with Enterprise and Solution Architects to ensure development projects fit systems/infrastructure architecture, and identifying when it is necessary to modify projects to accommodate the systems/infrastructure architecture
- Consulting with the Information Security Officer to ensure that any proposed software developments or changes do not compromise the security of the firm’s data
- Liaising with external providers to resolve any issues in the functionality and interoperability of new applications, infrastructure and other services with existing IT systems
- Participating in 8am to 8pm Service Delivery service provision shifts as necessary
- Participating in 8pm to 8am Service Delivery Out-of-Hours Support (OHS) service provision team(s) as an OHS consultant
To prepare (or assist in the preparation of) and maintain test plans and test scripts
- Ensuring both manual and automated testing are covered
- Testing each software component and demonstrating the business condition under test and the expected results
- Covering UI, web API and other services as well as both relational and non-relational databases
To create and develop (or assist in creation/development) the educational materials relating to the technology platform changes including:
- Delivering scheduled and tailored training for users
- Documenting all the platform developments/changes, including the design and analysis work
- Delivering scheduled and tailored training for SMAs or others who will run the software
Key skills and experience
- Specific expertise in, but not limited to core technologies, tools or solutions:
- Aderant Expert and its affiliated add-in solutions from other suppliers
- IntApp (Time & DTE, Integrate/Flow)
- ARCS (Credit Control)
- SSRS Reporting and MI Tools (Cognos etc)
- Finance systems (other), ,
- SQL Server
- Chrome River
- A minimum of two years of demonstrated competency in a subject matter expert role involving maintaining and improving existing IT/Information systems, solutions and services along with the successful execution of multiple projects for new systems, solutions and services
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business – with a focus on end-user needs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical people at all levels
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills with the ability to absorb new information quickly
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, ambiguous, and evolving marketplace
- Methodical with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to various internal and external situations and deliver high quality service
- Team player, providing support to colleagues and managers and working with teams across the firm
- Flexible approach with a customer and business focus
- Experience of working within a matrix organisation, including reporting into a number of people including technical line managers and project managers
- Evidence demonstrating ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure of deadlines including expertise in prioritising competing workloads
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
Apply for IT Subject Matter Expert - Finance/PMS Systems
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly