About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
Looking to start your HR career? We are recruiting for an apprentice to join our award winning HR Team. You will be responsible for providing timely, high quality and effective administration to the wider HR function which includes HR Operations, Learning & Development, Reward & Benefits and Resourcing. Alongside this exciting role you will also study a Business Administration qualification delivered in conjunction with Birmingham Metropolitan College.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Update our HR Database (Oracle) with contractual changes; hours, flexible working requests and follow up in writing
- Respond to (basic) queries through our query management system
Learning & Development
- Provide the HR Operations Team with support with all training events and courses to include; room bookings, prepare material for the sessions, table plans, meet and greet trainers
- Update our Learning Management System with delegate attendance lists and external courses
- Provide administrative support to offers and contracts
- Support with interview arrangements
- Provide administration support to projects to include formal work experience programmes and student events
Reward & Benefits
- Update our HR database with employees benefits and changes
- Update our third party portals with new / changes to benefits
Key skills and experience
The successful Apprentice will:
- Have the ability to work to deadlines and maintain a high level of quality at all times
- Be able to work as part of a team or independently
- Have excellent organisation and time management skills
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be proactive and willing to learn
- Willing to challenge the norm and think broadly to find innovative solutions to complex problems
- Be prepared to go the extra mile
- Have 5 GCSE’s (grade A* - C / 9 - 4) including maths and English
- Have knowledge of Microsoft products, including Outlook, Word and Excel
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.