Incentives Lawyer - Interim
- This is a 6 months position.
- All applicants should be available to start work before the end of November ideally and be available for 6 months.
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax, pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Driven and commercially focused, our incentives practice is one of the strongest in the UK and around the world. It is recognised by the directories with top tier rankings in Chambers UK, Chambers Global (Global-wide) and Legal 500 UK.
Our service is comprehensive, covering the legal, regulatory and tax aspects of setting up and operating share plans and other incentives and remuneration structures and issues. We focus on standalone advisory projects (around 60%) and supporting on large transactions (around 40%). The team works closely together and we make sure every member gets a good mix of work type and clients.
Much of what we do is for major companies on their most complex problems. We are active across many sectors including financial services, aerospace and defence, consumer goods and retail, communications, technology and energy. Our clients range from FTSE 100/FTSE 250 companies to non-UK multinationals to private equity houses and their investee companies.
The majority of our matters have an international element. Complementing our London offering, we have specialist teams in New York and Paris, plus around 100 lawyers in other offices across the network who regularly advise on incentives matters.
Recent work highlights include:
- Booker on its high-profile £3.9 billion share and cash merger with Tesco
- Ongoing advice to Technip on a wide range of remuneration and incentives matters and on its US$13 billion merger with FMC Technologies
- Sensata Technologies on its redomiciliation from the Netherlands to the UK
- Patron Capital on the takeover of Punch Taverns
- Imagination Technologies on the employee retention packages, shares plans and remuneration issues in the UK and globally in relation to its sale to Canyon Bridge Partners
- RPC Group on the global launch of an all-employee global sharesave plan
Our work covers :
- design, drafting and implementation of all types of executive and all-employee incentives plans;
- managing legal, regulatory and tax advice on global share plans and remuneration arrangements;
- advice on remuneration reporting, remuneration committee and shareholder issues (e.g. "say on pay" and director remuneration reports/policies);
- advice on remuneration regulation (e.g. financial service sector remuneration);
- remuneration and share plan advice on board and senior executive hires and terminations;
- advice on corporate governance, regulatory and tax issues affecting share plans and remuneration;
- advice on takeovers, mergers, IPOs, capital raisings and other corporate transactions
We are currently seeking an outstanding Incentives Lawyer with relevant post qualification experience to join our team. You will have ideally worked at one of the recognised incentives/ share scheme practices in the City or a leading national firm specialising in incentives. Qualified lawyers with relevant incentives experience in accountancy firms, consultancy firms or in-house will also be considered.
The Firm's competencies are as follows :
Analytical Thought and Problem Solving
The ability to gather and analyse information and to use the results of that analysis to make effective decisions and find innovative solutions to problems.
Communicating and Influencing
The ability to communicate clearly, persuasively and with sensitivity, both orally and in writing.
Commitment and Self-motivation
Commitment to both Clifford Chance and its clients, demonstrated in the drive to improve both quality of delivery and personal performance.
Leading and Developing Others
The ability to lead and manage others, both by contributing to the vision of the organisation and by enabling others to develop themselves.
Organising and Managing Resources
The ability to plan and organise yourself and others effectively in order to meet business priorities.
The ability to form working relationships with others, both inside and outside of Clifford Chance, and to use those relationships to benefit both individuals and the organisation.
The ability to see the role in the broader context of the organisation as a whole and its clients, and to use that knowledge to drive action.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients;