Junior-Level Construction Lawyer
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
The prominence of our Construction Group makes this an unrivalled opportunity for high calibre candidates who wish to work on the biggest and most iconic projects globally to develop their careers in a fast-moving sector.
Clifford Chance's Construction Group is unique in operating at the top tier of all industry sectors. Our approach is to be innovative and commercial, providing a complete and market-leading service to clients.
The Group's four main areas of work comprises:
- we have an established market leading presence in the conventional (fossil fuel), hydropower and nuclear sectors and are now leading the way on offshore and onshore wind, solar and biomass projects. Current examples include major UK and French offshore windfarms and several wind, solar and conventional fuel projects in Africa.
Real Estate & New Communities
- from signature buildings to new cities; from retail malls to sports stadia. Current examples include Battersea Power Station redevelopment, new luxury hotels in London and leading international sports projects.
Oil & Gas and Major Plant
- we continue to work on some of the world's largest oil & gas, and petrochemical deals. We are working on gas fields in the Baltic Sea, pipelines in South America, oil sands in Canada, and a significant petrochemical project in Azerbaijan.
Social and Transport Infrastructure
- we are proud to be associated with some of the world's most iconic and vital transport, utilities, defence and social infrastructure projects. We are currently working on major hospital projects and new roads in Turkey as well as PPP projects in the UK.
- The only leading law firm to maintain a highly specialist construction team of such size and dedicated focus.
- The future of the practice: the quality of our instructions and the continuing growth of the Construction Group make it one of the leading places to be doing this kind of work.
- A wide variety of instructions from a variety of clients, including the very biggest and complex deals.
- Regular training sessions, alternating between detailed, single issue reviews and broader industry topics – an intensive regime of training and skills development keeps us at the top of our game as constructive Lawyers.
- Knowledge sharing – members of the Group regularly contribute to publications and pitches as well as delivering workshops to clients and contacts.
- A highly competitive base salary, with significant potential for a substantial bonus under the Clifford Chance bonus scheme.
- Great prospects for long-term career development.
As a Lawyer at Clifford Chance your remit will be to apply your full knowledge of the law within your specialist area by identifying legal issues, drafting and advising clients.
Lawyers working in our Construction Group act for sponsors/developers, funders, contractors and other project participants and can expect to be involved in the drafting, negotiation and analysis of construction, operation/fm and ancillary documentation.
There is a clear transactional bias to the Group's work and our Lawyers are required to involve themselves in the management and organisation of teams of clients, Lawyers and professional advisers.
The Construction Group works closely with the firm's top-ranked Energy & Infrastructure, Real Estate, International Arbitration and PPP/PFI Groups, participating in and originating market-leading deals.
In all cases you should have first class legal ability coupled with a practical commercial approach and excellent drafting and communication skills.
You will have first class junior-level non-contentious construction experience.
Experience of international projects (including energy projects) is essential.
You will have a solid background in non-contentious construction work or projects work, probably gained at a City firm, or at an overseas common law practice with a highly regarded profile.
A strong academic history is essential.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit Lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for Lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients.
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.