IT Service Desk Analyst (Assistant SMA)
About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
To support Business Partners and Senior SMAs by
- Staffing the 1st line service desk
- Providing, as necessary, deskside, desktop and floor support
- Responding to other operational requests (including office moves) as requested by the Senior SMA
- Liaising with the Senior SMA
- Learning to provide in depth operating knowledge in at least one of the Gowling WLG core technology platform areas
- Collaborating with colleagues in Business Solutions and Change under the direction of an SMA or Senior SMA
Main Duties and Responsibilities
To staff the 1st line service desk(s) (and perform 2nd line duties as appropriate) to provide service users with an initial point of contact to understand and either resolve their issue or route it swiftly and correctly to a colleague for resolution
- Providing 1st line support including call logging & documenting / core desktop support / remote takeover and escalating issues to the Senior SMA as necessary
- keeping users informed about their Incident status at agreed intervals
- Using technical knowledge to provide 2nd line support under the direction of an SMA or Senior SMA including:
- deskside support – hardware / core desktop / mobile
- floor support - AV including client set-ups
- desktop equipment – PCRP / re-imaging and builds
- floor support –MFD (print, copy, scan)
- Resolving/routing other customer service requests with support from an SMA or Senior SMA
- Participating in 8am to 8pm service provision shifts
- Ensuring proactive monitoring and reporting of recurring issues to the Senior SMA for problem management
To participate in other operational requests of Service Delivery, under the guidance of an SMA or Senior SMA
- Planning and implementing the IT change requirements relating to department or office moves or setting up new offices
- Setting up new starters – providing equipment and education
- Working with Learning and Development to provide education and training packages
- Working in partnership with all BIS teams to ensure knowledge is captured and shared holistically throughout BIS, via the Knowledge Management system
- Consulting with the Senior SMA and Information Security Officer to ensure that any proposed software developments or changes do not compromise the security of the firm’s data
Key skills and experience
- Ideally an IT/Information Systems qualified graduate and/or experience of working with a range of technologies (including Microsoft) within business/operating areas of the legal profession or other professional services
- One or more years of IT and Business User experience, with sensitivity and commitment to business problem solving plus demonstrable experience of:
- working within 1st & 2nd line service desks and/or floor based support teams
- using technical knowledge to resolve issues
- understanding service management principles, and looking to become ITIL qualified
- willing to gain expertise in operating with one or more of Gowling WLG’s core technology platform areas and willing to gain an excellent understanding of all BIS core IT systems
- willing to gain knowledge through working with colleagues
- continuously improving self
- Working to gain knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and customer trust and confidence
- Demonstrated experience and ability in successfully utilizing "soft skills" or "people skills"
- Experience of working within a matrix organisation
- Evidence demonstrating ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure including expertise in prioritising competing workloads
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.