Senior BD Manager - Corporate
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Business Development Manager to join Allen & Overy. This role will have specific responsibility for driving forward BD activity for our London Corporate/M&A practice to support the achievement of a position of market leadership and recognition as a leading Tier 1 UK Corporate practice. Core responsibilities will include working with partners on their client development plans and objectives and for overseeing their execution; leading pitches and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches, to continue to win profitable work from both existing and new clients; and supporting the PR/communications plan to build our profile as a standout practice for complex cross-border, high-value transactions in public and private M&A across multiple sectors.
This role will manage a number of London Corporate BD team members and, as a senior member of the BD team, it will be critical that s/he can manage team members effectively, bring out the best in individuals, give feedback, act as a sounding board, and encourage knowledge sharing and collaboration across the Corporate BD team both in London and internationally.
Global Head of Corporate Business Development
London Corporate Business Development team
Managing Partner – London Corporate
Partners across the Corporate/M&A teams in London
All partners across the London Corporate practice
The operations team for London Corporate – COO, Finance and HR teams
London Corporate PSL team
Peers across the wider Business Development, Marketing and Communications team
Role and responsibilities
- Help shape and implement the business development strategy for the London Corporate practice in line with global strategic objectives.
- CRM for key corporate client relationships: help ensure the successful implementation of the firm's client relationship programme in the London Corporate practice, develop existing client relationships with London-led key corporate clients and identify new business development opportunities (eg lead BD responsibility for client targeting programmes of major blue-chip organisations and market intermediaries). Devise tactical plans to take advantage of market opportunities.
- Proposals: take a lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for relevant Corporate and M&A opportunities. Coach London partners and fee-earners on their presentations and ensure the teams not only follow but set best practice. Pitching is a key component of every role in the London Corporate team and the successful candidate will need to demonstrate an aptitude and enthusiasm for winning business and pursuing new client opportunities.
- Client listening: support the firm’s client listening programme and help oversee its implementation in the London Corporate practice; identify targets for client listening exercises, carry out client listening sessions with key clients, and assimilate feedback for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that client feedback is acted upon appropriately.
- Market and client research to support business planning activities and spot emerging trends or opportunities: oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (eg pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) for London partners and associates.
- Team management: responsibilities include providing coaching and mentoring to develop individuals, setting the team agenda, assisting with any issues, monitoring progress on tasks to ensure the efficient delivery of proposals and other marketing initiatives, ensuring the team understands the strategic objectives of the London Corporate and their specific part in achieving them.
- PR and profile-raising: look for opportunities to proactively raise the profile of the firm's London Corporate practice and increase the profile of leading individuals; liaise with the PR/Communications team to continue to build a strong external profile as a standout practice for complex cross-border, high-value public and private M&A transactions and in other selected areas; contribute to firm wide business development campaigns where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas.
- Liaise and work with other members of the London-based and international BD team and other support teams (eg Know How/Finance/HR/Legal Tech/PMO).
- BD operations and systems: supervise the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools, working with PAs, BD Executives/Senior Assistant resource to maintain collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Track London Corporate marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities and deliver ROI.
- Additional projects: assist with firm wide, UK, departmental and global practice projects as required.
- Graduate plus additional professional marketing/business qualification.
- Substantial relevant marketing experience (within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with senior management).
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of our clients, markets and services.
- Proven track record of achieving strategic business objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills - with partners, associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. This role is not about 'power'. It is suited to people who can, and like, achieving results through influence.
- A proactive approach, creativity, tenacity and energy.
- Thorough attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Politically astute – can make tough decisions and follow through; anticipates future areas of risk or opportunity for the practice and takes appropriate action to address these.
- Experience of managing and developing the careers of managers and executives.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both BD team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate workload of the team and manage others’ time efficiently, balances conflicting priorities and does not over-commit team and themselves – always manages expectations.
Who we are looking for
- A senior level resource to work closely with partners and other fee-earners primarily in the London Corporate practice but spanning other departments and offices in the firm where their business/market is targeted.
- A commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment, driven to work in a high-performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised.
- A team player, truly collegiate and adroit at working collaboratively.
- Self-directed and entrepreneurial with a sense of personal ownership.