Corporate Tax Associate
"Osborne Clarke's Corporate Tax team is…'one of the best in the business'" Legal 500 UK
We are looking for an Associate to join us in our Bristol office. We are ideally looking for a newly qualified Associate, however applicants with more experience will also be considered.
Our award-winning Tax team are ranked in the top tier by both Chambers and Legal 500. The team provides strategic tax advice covering a wide range of high value corporate, real estate and fund transactions, both nationally and internationally. You will be joining a successful firm with a collegiate and supportive culture, which makes it a rewarding place to work.
"They're very strong and pragmatic with their tax advice." Chambers and Partners UK
Our Tax team is one, cross office team, based in London and Bristol. We work with Osborne Clarke colleagues and clients across our three UK offices and our wider European offices.
Our Tax team enjoys a varied and quality work load, focused on providing mainly City-based clients with a high quality service. We provide our clients with tailored UK and cross-border tax strategies that help them meet their business objectives, including making tax savings and legal efficiencies. As you’d expect, we are heavily involved in transactional planning, structuring, financing and related documentation. We have a reputation for giving technically excellent advice that is commercial and user-friendly regardless of whether we are providing strategic support or working under pressure on a transaction.
Find out more about our Tax practice and the clients of Osborne Clarke using this link:
Legal 500 describe the team's service as ‘practical, to the point, technically sound and prompt’.
The team is currently made up of two Partners: Erika Jupe and Tracey Wright, 1 Legal Director, 7 Fee earners, 1 Trainee and a dedicated Knowledge lawyer.
The Corporate Tax team forms part of the wider UK Tax group, which includes dedicated Incentives and Private Wealth teams. The UK Tax group in total is made up of 5 partners and around 15 fee earners and forms part of our wider international Tax offering.
The UK Tax group benefits from two dedicated professional support lawyers and an excellent training programme. A strong commitment to individuals' career development and weekly know-how meetings ensures our Lawyers are technically excellent and enjoy a healthy team-working environment. We actively encourage and support our lawyers to gain professional tax qualifications.
"I moved to Osborne Clarke in January 2015 with 2 years PQE. I was looking for a well-established tax team that would offer a wide variety of corporate tax work to keep me interested, to expand my professional experience and offer opportunities for development. OC has fulfilled this and more. My team is friendly and supportive and has good working relationships with the rest of the firm. There is a wide variety of work and you are actively encouraged to be involved in a variety of business development and training opportunities, including fostering links with our overseas teams through the OC international exchange and inter-office development days. Technical and sector-based specialisms are actively encouraged and you are given the support and space you need to develop."
– Elizabeth Shanahan, Senior Associate, Corporate Tax
Our clients include high-profile publicly listed companies, management teams, investment funds, family owned businesses, real estate investors and real estate developers. Some examples of the deals we've recently advised on and clients we act for are as follows:
• Advised the management team of Odeon Cinemas on the $1bn sale to AMC Theatres, the largest cinema operator in the US.Advising Iris Worldwide Holdings Limited on the tax and other structuring of the 2015 investment by Korean listed company, Cheil Worldwide, in respect of its £50-85 m investment in Iris.
• acting for Universal Health Services, Inc (“UHS“) on its £377 million acquisition of Cambian Group plc’s Adult Services Division;
• advising Mitie Group PLC on the disposal of the group’s UK social care division consisting of domiciliary care and homecare businesses, Enara Group Limited and Complete Care Holdings Limited to Apposite Capital LLP, the specialist healthcare investor.
• Advising M&G Real Estate on its Build to Rent transactions.
• Tax structuring and transaction advice for a number of investors, operators and developers in the student accommodation sector including Campus Living Villages and Student Castle.
Technical skills and experience
We look for excellent academics, together with evidence of good quality training gained from a highly regarded law firm.
Depending on your level of qualification, you will have the ability to provide corporate tax advice on some or all of corporate (including both seller and buyer M&A, re-organisations and restructuring, shareholder structuring, Private Equity, Venture capital matters), real estate, projects, funds, finance and other commercial transactions, as well as having a demonstrable understanding of UK and cross-border tax rules and structures.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
• clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress through a well-defined career path
• high quality clients and work
• thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues
• robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you
• reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits and flexible working.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Geoff Mead or Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3322 or email us via firstname.lastname@example.org
To submit your application for this role please click on the Apply link.
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive to be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.