Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Succeeding in today’s technology industry requires a deep understanding of the sector and a keen knowledge of the business issues driving change. Rely on Dentons' Technology lawyers in the UK for extensive legal capabilities and experience developed through decades working with a wide range of participants in the sector—from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers. Among our lawyers are computer programmers and legal counsel who have worked for leading technology companies.
Having worked at the cutting edge of sourcing and technology work for many years, our UK-based strategic sourcing practice comprises not only authoritative lawyers in the field, but also thought leaders. Turn to us for support in structuring and negotiating sourcing solutions that will meet your business objectives. Obtain strategic counsel that delivers cost savings and transformational benefits for your organisation.
World-leading corporations and government entities have turned to us for advice over the years, and we have worked on many of the largest and most innovative sourcing deals across an array of industry sectors. Tap into Dentons' deep know-how when it comes to technology projects in the areas of media, telecoms, energy, transportation, infrastructure, financial institutions, government, health care, real estate, hotels, retail and more.
Purpose of role
We have an opportunity for an Intellectual Property (IP)/ Commercial Contract Associate to work as part of a large global network of lawyers and specialise in all aspects of IP/ Contract law, with a strong emphasis on contentious work. The successful candidate will primarily work across all IP disciplines, including patent and trade marks, passing off, copyright, industrial designs, confidential information, IT disputes, publishing, media disputes and advertising.
Now is an exciting to time to join the growing practice, following some significant recent hires. In addition Dentons is also ranked #1 patent prosecution firm in the US (Juristat 2017).
The successful candidate will have a large amount of autonomy and receive excellent career development in order to progress their career.
This role would suit a 3-5 year pqe ambitious Associate however we will consider talented individuals outside of this.
- Assisting and leading on a variety of contentious IP cases including trade mark, copyright designs and confidential information and also including patent litigation
- Advising clients on non-contentious IP matters, including licencing , franchising and IP due diligence
- Contribute to and drive BD and marketing activities
- Coach and mentor junior members of the team
- Develop to provide thought leadership and raise the profiles of the firm externally
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Qualified IP lawyer with contentious experience gained within a top-tier Scottish firm
- Non-contentious IP experience in some of the following is desirable: licensing, franchising and IP focus corporate due diligence
- Preferably contentious patent litigation experience, but not essential
- Experience in patent, trade mark, copyright, core IP disciplines, designs and confidential information
- Strong academics and ideally qualified in Scottish law
- Experience and passion in marketing and business development with an entrepreneurial approach
- Experience in writing articles and speaking at conferences
- Active involvement in industry groups
- Ability to work within a large global network of IP lawyers.
- Strong client facing ability
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.