BD Manager - Derivatives & Structured Finance - Mat Cover
We have business development (BD) teams embedded in, and dedicated to supporting, the global practice and sectors groups and this role supports the award-winning and market-leading (Band 1 in both Chambers and L500) Derivatives and Structured Finance (DSF) product group within the International Capital Markets (ICM) global practice group.
We are looking for a Business Development manager on a fixed term contract to support the Derivatives & Structured Finance group. Working with partners who are amongst the most eminent in their field, this role is responsible for the day-to-day business development support for the DSF group including working with partners on their client development plans, leading pitches for DSF and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches, coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities such as speaking at industry conferences, appropriate events and hospitality, managing the process of experience collection, credentials and CVs and other ad-hoc business development support.
As competition for work in all capital markets areas intensifies, this role offers an opportunity to increase the sophistication and impact of business development within the practice and a skilful practitioner will have the opportunity to influence strategy at an individual partner and product group level.
Role and responsibilities
- Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction of BD activities. Play a key influencing role with partners on DSF business development activities and projects. Lead on communication, coordination and strategic leadership of the international DSF BD community.
- Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London-based DSF opportunities. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant DSF expertise. Seek client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
- Client account management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the management of strategic client relationships and coordinate client targeting efforts across the DSF group. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the DSF group.
- Client listening – work on client listening programmes as appropriate; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management – work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and executeintegrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and the BD Assistant to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
- Additional projects – Opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
- Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience either at an equivalent BD Manager level within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with management of individual practice or service lines or at a level that demonstrates that the candidate is capable of being promoted into role.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global derivatives and structured finance markets/practices (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous derivatives, structured finance or capital markets market experience would be a plus, but is not absolutely essential.
- Proven track record of achieving product-line business objectives.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
- A proactive approach, balancing creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Professional, proactive, creative, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Who we are looking for
A commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment, driven to work in a high performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised