Client & Market Development Manager - Corporate M&A
Are you a seasoned and highly ambitious senior BD professional looking to become a strategic adviser to a world-class Corporate Practice?
Do you feel ready to advise a market leading M&A practice on how to best seize both commercial opportunities for our industry-leading clients whilst navigating the challenges posed by geopolitical developments including Brexit?
If you feel comfortable analysing, developing and co-driving strategic plans factoring in global investment flows into and out of the UK, we might just have the opportunity for you. For this newly created and high-profile advisory role, we are looking for an analytical and highly energised BD professional who will make an impact. We want you to challenge both the lawyers and a top notch BD team, pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
In this senior role you will work collaboratively with partners, associates, global client teams and BD teams on specific business development opportunities, and lead on:
Strategic practice area development: research and analysis of prospective clients and market opportunities
Winning new business: creation and delivery of pitch documentation, providing strategic guidance to partners on how to win new business including for major (global) panel pitches and transformational (international) transactions working closely with our teams across the globe
Client development management:
- execution of targeted client development campaigns to our key clients as well as the clients of tomorrow leveraging strategic initiatives including Risk, Corporate Treasury, and other thought leadership capabilities
- management of several key client relationships including three global key client accounts
Sector development: being responsible for the continued success of the London Industrials Sector Group, you will support the London Sector Leaders on client targeting and acquisition, trends and cross selling opportunities
- Manage the production of RFP responses, pitches, capability and credential statements
- Work with C&MD team to coach partners on effective pitch preparation and presentation
- Develop and maintain processes for the effective and efficient production of capability statements and pitches
- Manage and improve the process for capturing deal information in the global matter database.
- Lead and support a select number of client teams (including two GSC125 clients), ensuring that information is shared between the client teams and client plans are implemented.
- Take an active role in client planning.
- Support core client development programmes for the Firm's Global Strategic Client Program and the London Corporate Practice.
Sector Planning and Implementation
- Support the partners in preparation of annual business plans (M&A, industrials), based on comprehensive market research and support the implementation of these throughout the year.
- Advise on developing targeting strategies.
- Monitor emerging issues and commercial developments impacting the practice and sector.
- Actively project manage relevant directory, awards and league table submissions.
- Project manage the production and distribution of marketing communication materials.
- Work closely with the Head of Thought Leadership to deliver successful campaigns to clients.
- Manage any internal newsletters and contribute to wider office/regional/sector newsletters.
- Assist in maintaining the internet and intranet sites for Corporate.
- Evaluate and project manage business development campaigns, conferences and sponsorships.
- Manage and coordinate client events (both off and onsite).
- Assist with the project management of meetings/ events.
- Contribute and implement best practice and complete special projects as required.
- Direct line responsibility for at least one team member, subject to a successful probationary period
- Shape the Corporate C&MD team by managing individual(s) by (commercial and personal development) objectives
- Foster a collaborative environment by mentoring junior staff
- Build strong working relationship with peers and more junior C&MD team members across the firm.
In order to perform this role successfully, the candidate will require:
- Enthusiasm, energy and drive.
- Strong proven experience in professional services business development (preferably in a law firm) and broad experience in dealing with senior management and key stakeholders.
- Good commercial awareness of legal and financial market developments.
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
- A track record of being proactive and delivering high quality work.
- Strong line management experience.
- Excellent project management skills, as well as being a good team player.
- High quality written communication skills.
- The ability to be creative (e.g. BD techniques, ideas).
- Coaching, influencing and presentation skills.
- To be confident, articulate, resilient and focused.