Commercial Senior Associate
They have in-depth knowledge and offer commercially aware advice."– Chambers & Partners
We are looking for a Senior Associate to join our highly regarded Commercial team in London, particularly focusing on the areas of IT, technology and outsourcing. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team and advise on high value, strategically important and often international projects within a supportive and collegiate environment.
Our Commercial group provides leading-edge business solutions to clients, ranging from high growth start-ups to multinationals and covering the entire spectrum of commercial activity. Our London team has a strong reputation with large global clients requiring sophisticated cross-jurisdictional advice.
We have considerable expertise in a range of key sectors. In the energy sector, we have advised in relation to everything from smart meter procurements, agreements for connection to electricity distribution networks, high value procurements of essential equipment such as switchgear; to advice on the legislative framework and interpretation of Ofgem licence conditions. Our premier client base across the digital business sector, where we also enjoy a fantastic reputation, includes the likes of Microsoft, Vodafone, Freeview Connected, Deutsche Telekom, the BBC, Virgin Media, YouTube, ThomsonReuters, BT Vision, Facebook and Channel 4.
A third area in which we enjoy a superb market niche is retail, where our expertise spans franchise and concession agreements, agency and distribution, supply arrangements and fulfilment models, and other commercial work for clients like Patisserie Valerie, Ralph Lauren, Cotswold Outdoor, Dreams and others. In the financial services sector, another field in which we have considerable strength, our typical work includes advice on complex services agreements, including agreements for the development of new financial products and panel arrangements, for clients such as KPMG, Monitise and Towergate. In particular, we have specialist expertise in “new generation” payment services, such as mobile payments (including NFC), online payments, prepaid, virtual currencies and micro-payments.
To find out more about the practice, please see the link below:
"As lawyers I find them straightforward, pragmatic and enjoyable to work with" – Chambers & Partners
Spanning all three of our UK based offices and working closely together, the Commercial department is made up of almost 50 lawyers in total. The London team is made up of 7 Partners, 1 Consultant, 2 Associate Directors, 8 Senior Associates, 7 Associates, 2 Trainee Solicitors and 1 paralegal. The London team is led by John Buyers, partner.
- We continue to advise Vodafone on a range of important matters, including this year assisting with substantial outsourcing projects relating to their HR and Enterprise IT services.
- We continue to advise longstanding global software and IT client Micro Focus on a wide range of issues, including international software licenses and IT implementation agreements. This year in particular has been very exciting as we have assisted Micro Focus in a substantial licensing dispute with one of its financial services customers.
- KPMG Crimsonwing Limited is KPMG's new Microsoft Azure implementation business. We were instructed by them on a major IT systems integration and outsourcing deal in relation to the management of in-cab SaaS systems for leading waste management business Biffa.
- We are acting for a major Japanese bank in connection with the monetisation of various IT assets. This has involved structuring ownership of our client’s rights in the relevant assets, advising on the tender documentation and subsequent responses, as well as contractual terms for the exploitation of the IT assets.
- Osborne Clarke continues to advise the AA on a range of IT and commercial agreements related to its core insurance underwriting business for both motor and home insurance products. Our role includes assisting with software licensing and maintenance, for example in relation to claims handling software, on both an outsourced and on-premises basis, as well as advising on agreements for the provision of business critical data feeds - for example for the detection of insurance fraud or for property valuation).
- We continue to advise News UK on a wide range of commercial matters. These include challenges presented by the Publisher Advertising Transaction System (PATS) initiative, minimum spend agreements and a new long-term printing plate supply contract and print services agreements.
- We recently advised Admiral Group on the successful establishment of a 50/50 joint venture with MAPFRE, a listed Spanish insurance company, to explore the potential of price comparison websites in certain overseas territories, in particular the nascent Chinese market, which has recently deregulated prices.
- We have been advising Hyundai, one of the world’s leading motor manufacturers, this year on certain commercial issues arising out of its sponsorship of the UEFA European Football Championship.
Technical skills and experience
You will have knowledge and experience across Commercial matters which will have been gained at a city, national or large regional law firm recognised for its commercial law practice, or in-house. Due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking for a Senior Associate, although we will consider candidates with more or less experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3072 or email@example.com.
Osborne Clarke is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce.