Associate - Asset Management / Funds
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
In today’s dynamic business and regulatory environment for corporate transactions, our clients need a partner with knowledge, versatility and determination to help you achieve your goals.
Our lawyers work on the full spectrum of corporate transactions and are located in offices across the globe in order to deliver seamless, integrated solutions to clients. Using a forward-thinking approach, Dentons works together with the client to create innovative solutions, helping them preserve value while managing risk.
From strategic planning through due diligence to post-closing integration, we are by our client's side, helping them effectively and efficiently meet their business needs. Our practical approach, coupled with sound, constructive and responsive advice, allows clients to navigate roadblocks at critical moments.
With transactional expertise, deep knowledge of the industries in which our clients operate and far-reaching experience in advising global, national and emerging companies, we maximize our global presence and local expertise to meet client needs.
Purpose of role
We now have an opportunity for an Associate to join the Corporate team in Edinburgh or London to specialise in asset management and funds transactions. The successful candidate will develop their expertise in a team that has deep sector knowledge and far-reaching experience in advising global, national and emerging companies and was named Corporate Team of the Year at the Law Awards of Scotland during November 2017.
Our asset management and funds team deals with asset management M&A, fund establishment including listed funds, institutional investment into funds, commercial contract work, including IMA's and outsourcing contracts, regulatory advice to asset managers and their clients etc. We have a strong client base, including some of the UK's leading asset managers, insurers, pension funds and banks, and a strong international flavour, and this client base and the work that we are doing for them will continue to grow. We also have a strong presence in the fintech sector.
Ideally, you will have some experience working with asset managers or on funds transactions, and some knowledge of the regulatory backdrop. Also a reasonable understanding of partnership law. And you will have an interest in developing your expertise in this area, doing a mix of transactional and advisory work, and joining a fast moving team in a fast moving environment.
You will maintain and grow client relationships, contribute to business development and thought leadership, raising your own profile and supporting the continued growth of the practice.
The role would be ideal for a 1 to 4 year pqe lawyer, however we would consider more senior candidates.
- You will take a lead role on a wide range of transactional work, with exposure to all aspects of corporate and partnership transactions, including some public company work, often in a fund context, but combined with regulatory advice that is intrinsic in work in the sector.
- Build and maintain client relationships
- Contribute to business development
- Coach and mentor more junior members of the team
- Contribute to thought leadership and raise the profile of the firm externally
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Good knowledge of asset management and funds transactions
- You will ideally have experience of working with UK and international clients in the financial services sector
- You will ideally have experience of preparing and participating in pitches to clients
- Ability to work with a degree of independence
- Exceptional drafting skills and legal research ability
- Strong academic record, including a degree or equivalent
- Is dedicated to exceptional client service
- Excellent business development ability and demonstrates market focus
- Strong financial and business awareness
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates good judgment and resilience skills
- Shows strong initiative and drive and takes control of own career development
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.