Senior Real Estate Associate
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
No matter where our clients are in today’s competitive real estate market, advice with a global perspective is indispensable. Our clients need a team by their side to navigate this rapidly changing legal environment that’s often complicated by multijurisdictional issues. Whether they are an investor, lender, developer, landowner or tenant, a buyer or seller of real estate, they know the challenges of this market—and want experienced counsel from people who understand all their real estate needs.
At Dentons, we bring strong, established local, regional and global experience and know-how to help our clients succeed in all their real estate ventures and projects. With over 500 real estate lawyers and our commitment to an integrated approach, we give clients the comfort of a global presence with a deep understanding of the local real estate terrain. Because opportunities don’t wait, we anticipate trends and react with speed and certainty on client's behalf, collaborating with them every step of the way.
Whether our clients need expertise in real estate leasing, project finance, acquisition and disposition, development, construction, or investment, or they need the services of astute counsel to resolve a real estate dispute, our team of committed, respected professionals across the globe is keen to help our clients succeed. Where their needs extend beyond real estate, Dentons offers a panoply of legal expertise and services worldwide in all business-related areas, including: insolvency and debt restructuring, environmental and regulatory compliance, corporate structuring, taxation, and cross-border matters, to name but a few.
Purpose of role
Milton Keynes Real Estate team is looking for an experienced associate with good experience of landlord and tenant, commercial real estate and development work.
The team works on a wide variety of real estate transactions, both domestic UK transactions and supporting activities of the firm's global clients. We deliver a client-focused responsive service for blue chip clients who expect the highest quality, great value and the delivery of excellent work. They, and we, expect our lawyers to be specialists in their sectors, and to be pro-active and commercially minded.
Work highlights include:
- Advising Sainsbury's on a large portion of their portfolio, including their fast moving Convenience "Local" stores.
- Acting for most of the UK banks, and may other funding parties, on several high-profile real estate funding transactions.
- Acting for a large Developer on a large regenerations project in London to build a new Football Stadium, Hotel and approximately 100 high-end apartments.
- Representing Nokia in the sale of the Vertu brand, alongside our corporate team in London and internationally.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern investor on its sale of a trophy investment site in Pimlico, London for c. £70m and the subsequent purchase of a similar investment for similar value.
- We are acting for an Islamic Bank in the grant of a sharia compliant Ijara facility to a customer of the Bank seeking to purchase a property for £20m.
- Advising Network Rail, since appointment to their panel last year, on a range of large Rail projects and management of their portfolio across the UK.
- Acting for a large hotel owner in the listing of a portfolio of English and Scottish hotels and apart-hotels on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acting for Virgin Active on new landmark health clubs in London
- Acting for Administrators on a large pub-sector administration affecting multiple sites.
Significant clients include: J. Sainsbury, Taylor Wimpey, Virgin, Network Rail, Willmott Dixon and Zolfo Cooper.
- Acting for major/blue chip tenant occupiers in the Retail and/or Leisure sectors
- Advising on and negotiating Agreements for Lease (incl. conditional agreements involving licensing or planning) and Development Agreements.
Due Diligence and corporate support
Maintaining and developing client relationships
Active participation in business development events and activities.
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Candidates will ideally have a minimum of four years experience, however, we will consider all candidates with suitable skills and knowledge.
- Excellent technical and client handling skills.
- Experience of all aspects of Lease negotiation and Lease re-gears or re-structuring work and/or surrenders and re-grants.
- Experience of sales and leasebacks, title investigation, Land Registry and real estate taxation including SDLT and VAT.
- Experience of Law Society Certificates of Title particularly for financial institutions.
- Some experience of acting on development projects working with colleagues in other departments (eg Construction, Planning).
- Committed to developing personally and professionally.
- An enthusiasm for maintaining and developing client relationships.
- A proven ability to work for a variety of partners/colleagues and for a number of clients simultaneously.
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.