Derivatives - Associate
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Banking and finance is at the heart of every economy, providing the means to help businesses expand and investors grow. Dentons’ Banking and Finance team operates at the industry’s forefront, working with innovative finance products across the world. Our Debt Capital Markets team covers a broad range of UK and international transactional work including derivatives, debt capital markets, Islamic finance/sukuk and structured finance.
Purpose of role
We now have an opportunity for an Associate to join our industry-leading and growing DCM & Derivatives team in London, with a particular focus on Derivatives. This is an exciting and challenging role and is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious Derivatives lawyer looking to develop their knowledge and progress their career within a global firm.
You will work across a wide range of OTC and exchange traded derivatives transactions for both sell-side and buy-side clients, offering an opportunity to develop a broad skill set. The current practice is fairly diverse – there is a routine flow of finance linked and structured finance derivatives related matters but this is supplemented by highly structured (and often complex) credit or equity linked transactions. Therefore being flexible will be an advantage. You will work directly with some of the world's leading Banks and Financial Institutions and collaborate with experts throughout the wider firm and across Dentons' international offices. As a result, you will be exposed to a wide range of structured derivatives transactions in our Emerging Markets.
You will be encouraged to stretch yourself as a lawyer and to take an active role in developing client relationships from an early stage.
You will have the support of an excellent team of PSLs and comprehensive legal training. The firm also offers a excellent structured personal and career development programme.
This role would be ideal for a 1-4 year PQE Associate with solid derivatives experience.
Required experience, skills and attributes
- You will have solid derivatives experience gained within a top tier firm
- You will have experience in at least one of the following; Credit, Equity, Commodities, Rates, Islamic
- An understanding of netting and collateral is a pre-requisite. In addition, an ability to draft and review derivatives opinions (covering capacity & authority, and netting and collateral issues) would be beneficial
- You will have a good working understanding of the regulatory framework, primarily EMIR. Knowledge of MiFID II would be beneficial
- Also a good working knowledge of the other industry standard master agreements (GMRAs, GMSLAs, OLSAs) would be beneficial
- Ideally English law qualified
- Strong academic record, including a degree or equivalent
- Dedicated to exceptional client service – a willingness to become involved in client training would be useful
- Excellent business development ability and demonstrates market focus
- Strong financial and business awareness – we will expect you to be an active participant in the relevant ISDA Working Groups
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates good judgment and resilience skills
- Shows strong initiative and drive and takes control of own career development
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.