Mid-Level Equity Capital Markets Lawyer
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Our Equity Capital Markets team advises on some of the world's largest and most high-profile ECM transactions. Our clients include corporate issuers and financial investor clients, both in the UK and overseas, and the world's leading investment banks. Our lawyers are recognised as some of the best in the market, specialising in providing a seamless integrated service, alongside our London based US securities team on Rule 144A offerings, as well as across our network of offices, advising across numerous areas of expertise, including:
• UK premium listings;
• Rights issues and other secondary offerings;
• Accelerated book builds and block trades;
• GDR listings for overseas issuers and other standard listings;
• M&A related sponsor transactions, including securities exchange offers;
• Complex investment fund IPOs/listings
• Local listings for overseas issuers; and
• AIM listings.
• Equity Capital Markets (Tier 1) - Legal500 2017
• Capital Markets: Equity (Band 1) – Chambers 2017
We regularly act on ECM transactions for companies based around the world as well as for UK based clients. Our Capital Markets Lawyers have a global outlook, coupled with experience of a variety of work in multiple jurisdictions, producing the quality of expertise required for major, complex cross border work.
Our ECM practice advises on the whole spectrum of ECM products, recent examples of which include:
• Premium and standard listings in the UK of UK and international companies, including Vivo Energy, TI Fluid Systems, Bakkavor, Jackpotjoy, Biffa, Secure Trust Bank, Metro Bank, Clydesdale Bank, the AA, The Gym Group, Auto Trader, John Laing and Jimmy Choo, as well as complex fund IPOs, including the Premium Listings of CVC Credit Partners European Opportunities and Apax Global Alpha, and the admission of EJF Investments to the LSE's Specialist Fund Segment.
• Rights issues and other secondary issues including Alior Bank, Greencore, Informa, Phoenix Group, Secure Income REIT, The Co-operative Bank and Barclays
• M&A related transactions, such as the Sainsbury/Home Retail Group and ICAP/Tullet Prebon transactions
• GDR offerings for overseas issuers including Edita, Zagrebacka Banka, Electrica S.A., Trader Media Limited, Damac Real Estate Development Limited , TBC Bank and Romgaz SA
Lawyers are given the chance to handle a tremendous variety of work and the partners actively work towards ensuring individual lawyers receive their preferred mix of work. You will be given responsibility for running transactions and working closely with clients and other lawyers. This means that you will develop outstanding transaction management and organisational skills as well as developing superb technical abilities.
• We are an ambitious group recognised within Clifford Chance and externally as a growth area of strategic importance for the firm. We operate with significant autonomy, alongside the corporate finance, private equity and broader capital markets businesses, with a team based ethos enabling lawyers to optimise their development and experience as they progress through their careers.
• We have a well-defined growth strategy which will drive the expansion of the Equity Capital Markets Practice over the next 2-5 years and this, and our existing mix of partners and associates, provides excellent career opportunities, including through to partnership.
• We run a sophisticated internal training programme consisting of a series of Immersion Courses covering all the core areas of corporate finance and capital markets.
• We believe in global mobility and, for those who are interested, there will be significant opportunities to work overseas once you have spent some time in London.
• Whilst you will work with a number of different partners on transactions, one partner is agreed with you as your Career Development Partner to provide support and focus on any matters relating to your career development, including running your appraisal, setting objectives and a development plan, and identifying suitable secondment opportunities.
• Our remuneration package is one of the most attractive in the market and includes significant potential for bonus.
We are currently seeking outstanding Junior/Mid-Level Corporate Finance/ECM lawyers to join our team.
• You will have good experience of, in particular, UK Corporate Finance/ECM transactions and a general grounding in English company law would be helpful.
• The more senior you are, the more you will have specific (preferably high-value) ECM experience along with experience of transaction organisation and management.
• Lawyers at all levels must have excellent document drafting skills. You should demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills along with a high level of commercial awareness.
• You will be ambitious and keen to take ownership and responsibility in your work.
• An excellent academic history is essential.
• Your knowledge and experience will probably have been gained at a leading practice with a reputation for work in equity capital markets.
If you can demonstrate a real desire to develop a career in a growing, ambitious equity capital markets practice, then we would be happy to hear from you.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients;
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.