About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
About the Team
The residential development team, one of the top specialist teams in the country, sits within the real estate group, one of the largest real estate practice in the UK. The merger with Lawrence Graham in London on 1 May further increases the size, scale and opportunities of the real estate group and the residential team in particular.
The residential development team comprises 4 partners and 15 lawyers focusing solely on advising residential developers. Around 90% of the team’s work is for national plc house builders, but it also acts for some commercial developers in relation to mixed use schemes, some smaller niche enterprises and some landowners.
Main Purpose of the Job
Our business is growing and we are looking for a Paralegal to join the team to manage your own caseload of volume plot sales and residential property acquisitions for house builders and other property companies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will have a residential property focus and will be based in the plot sales part of the team. You will be managing your own caseload of volume instructions using a case management system in relation to:
- Sales of plots – freehold and leasehold for housing developers and/or for registered social landlords;
- Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager of the firm or Practice Operations Manager.
Key skills and experience
Working in an inclusive, sharing and collaborative culture you will be expected to play your part in ensuring the continuing success and growth of the team. Experience of working in a legal environment would be preferable but not essential.
You should be able to:
- Manage your own caseload from instruction through to file closure, to tight deadlines, in accordance with client's agreed procedures and any service level agreement.
- Remain calm under pressure and prioritise your workload effectively.
- Work in a team environment (this may include working as part of a bigger project team) and support your colleagues.
- Give clear, practical advice with sound commercial judgment and swift accurate implementation of instructions.
- Understand property related deeds and documents with experience of drafting Leases, Transfers and other property related deeds and documents.
- Investigate title, carry out title reviews and prepare reports on title.
- Carry out searches, do research and analysis, deal with enquiries.
- Communicate appropriately and confidently at all levels within the team and the wider business as well as with clients, agents and other parties in person, by phone, letter, email or other communication means.
- Use your initiative to solve problems, resolve queries and be proactive.
- Manage financial hygiene.
- Supervise less experienced members of the team.
You should have:
- Previous experience of working in a residential development related role ideally – however any candidate with experience in the residential property sector, having worked in a similar role, who can meet the other criteria in this specification, is encouraged to apply.
- Strong organisation and communication skills.
- Attention to detail and numeracy skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and confidence in liaising with others.
- Effective Time management skills.
- Excellent Keyboard, IT and data entry skills.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Project management skills would be beneficial but not essential.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
Apply for Residential Conveyancer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly