BD Manager - IP
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is a leading international legal practice with a truly global presence. The firm operates at the forefront of the legal industry. Our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Our business development, marketing and communication teams contribute to the setting and achievement of the firm’s business objectives, which includes supporting our partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming our clients’ trusted advisers, building and maintaining long-lasting, deep institutional client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm globally, and positioning the firm as the thought leader and most advanced law firm among the global elite law firms. The function works as one team across the globe with very close collaboration between the central groups – such as Communications – and professionals supporting offices, practice groups, sectors and clients.
We have business development (BD) teams embedded in, and dedicated to supporting, the global practice and sectors groups and this role supports the London IP group. This role is responsible for the day-to-day business development support for the IP practice, including working with partners on their client development plans; leading pitches for IP and contributing product and market insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities, such as speaking at industry conferences, appropriate events and hospitality; managing the process of experience collection, credentials and CVs; and other ad-hoc business development support.
– Senior BD Manager for Global IP and Global Head of Business Development for life sciences and TMT
– All partners and fee earners in the IP group
– Peers across the wider business development, marketing and communications team
Role and responsibilities
– Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for IP proposals. Coach partners on their presentations and ensure the teams follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant IP product expertise. Seek client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
– Client account management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues by coordinating client targeting efforts across the IP group. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the IP group.
– Client listening – work on client listening programmes as appropriate; carry out client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
– Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
– Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
– Shaping and delivering market-facing campaigns to raise market profile.
– BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; produce relevant directory and award submissions; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
– Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
– Substantial relevant business development and marketing experience at an equivalent BD Manager level within a professional services organisation or in the sector, where the individual frequently worked with management of individual practice or service lines.
– Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the global IP practice (in terms of the market, the matters, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area). Previous IP market experience would be a plus, but is not essential.
– Proven track record of achieving product-line business objectives.
– Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
– Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
– A proactive approach, balancing creativity, tenacity and energy.
– High attention to detail and strong client focus.
– Professional, proactive, creative, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
– Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both team and fee-earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
– Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Who we are looking for
– A commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment, driven to work in a high performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised.