An integral member of the business development team for our industry-leading banking practice, with specific responsibility for the London Financial Services Regulatory and Asset Management team, and our global FIG Sector group. This position will provide day-to-day, business development support and advice within the banking practice and FIG sector group, working closely with lawyers to drive the BD activities of these teams in London as well as the FIG sector team globally. This person will work closely with and be guided by the Senior Manager for FIG & Financial Services Regulatory, the Global Head of Banking BD and the client and market manager for Alternative Investment Managers.
Key responsibilities will include working with the lead partners on their client development plans; leading on pitches and contributing product and sector insight into cross-practice and cross-border pitches; coordinating practical marketing support for profile raising activities, such as speaking at industry conferences, client seminars and organising events; managing the process of experience collection, credentials and CVs; ensuring the fee earner and global BD teams are kept up-to-date on the latest legal, regulatory and sector developments; and other ad-hoc business development support.
– All partners in the London Financial Services Regulatory and Asset Management practice
– The global FIG sector team and the global co-heads of FIG in particular
– Members of the Banking, ICM, Corporate and Litigation BD teams
– Global Head of Business Development, Banking
– Senior Manager FIG & Financial Services Regulatory BD
– Client & Industries Manager for the Alternative Investment Management group
– PSLs for Regulatory, Asset Management and Brexit
– COO, Business Manager and Head of HR for Banking
– Peers across the wider business development, marketing and communications team across the A&O network
– Key members of the legal knowhow community
Role and responsibilities
– BD programmes and initiatives – play a lead role working with partners in the London Financial Services Regulatory and Asset Management product areas and the global FIG team on business development issues and projects and take a lead role in executing BD initiatives and projects.
– Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London-based product area proposals. Help partners on their presentations and encourage the teams to follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant sector and product expertise. Work with colleagues to capture client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
– Business and sector planning – contribute to practice and sector planning; create the budget and then manage marketing costs for the London practice and FIG sector. Should have the ability to assess new projects against the impact of cost and profit, and adapt business plans in response to changing market requirements.
– Sector and client research – keep updated on developments in the financial services sector from both a business and regulatory perspective. Maintain a library of hot topics and help organise regular briefing calls to keep the global fee earner, BD and CRM teams updated. Provide ad-hoc research to support business planning activities.
– Sponsorships, client events and hospitality – proactively identify and manage sponsorships, our relationships with industry bodies, and client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Encourage partners where appropriate to make best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend.
– Internal communications – encourage sharing of sector/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
– Campaign management – work with BD colleagues, the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in the FIG sector and key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the Regulatory and Asset Management practice and FIG sector.
– Client account management – provide account management support and assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the development of strategic client relationships across the practice group. Work with other members of the Business Development and client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the group. Assist with the organisation and running of client reviews for FIG sector clients.
– Client listening – support client listening programmes as appropriate; participate in client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with BD colleagues and the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
– BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and any available BD Assistant resource to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
– Cross-office integration – Consider ways to utilise our London capabilities to benefit the wider network.
– Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
– Proven marketing experience.
– Experience in a professional services organisation or in the legal services sector would be a significant advantage.
– Enthusiasm to develop an understanding of the global financial services sector (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area).
– Good communication skills – both written and oral.
– Strong interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers.
– High attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
– A team player.
– Professional, proactive, creative, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
– Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Who we are looking for
– A commercial and ambitious individual with proven marketing experience looking for a new opportunity to take the next step in their career.