Document Automation Manager
Document Automation Manager
This will form part of the firm’s central knowledge function and will report to the Head of Strategic Client Technology.
Purpose of job
• To champion the firm’s document automation initiative including direct client offerings.
• To manage and further develop the firm’s automation team as required, whether internally or outsourced
• To serve as the lead resource in automating documents and the training of document specialists, secretaries and others to use the automated drafting application.
• To support the offering of automated document services to new and existing clients.
• To maintain the firm’s standard template collection, ensuring the correct levels of access are granted to users (user/editor/administrator).
• To liaise with professional support lawyers to ensure that their standard collections are kept up to date and relevant.
• To liaise with third party service providers to ensure that the Firm is receiving the best value for money with the services/subscriptions it subscribes to.
What’s in it for you?
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a highly regarded international law firm that is known for its innovation within its legal and technology areas
- We invest significantly in new technology and are always looking to gain advantage from the use of technology within the business
- The opportunity to champion an initiative at the core of innovation in legal service delivery
- The opportunity to develop your skills and experience in document automation
- The opportunity to work across the firm with all levels of seniority and disciplines (partners, associates, knowledge development lawyers, IT)
Championing document automation
• Work closely with the practice areas to promote automation solutions both within the business and as a client facing solution
• Support practice groups to automate their standard documents and to keep their respective collections accurate and up to date
• Assist in the preparation of client pitches and pricing for potential work involving automation or mass document production
• Research and instigate new procedures/services that can improve efficiency and document quality
• Liaise with colleagues in the US, as we look to adopt a standard approach to document automation globally
• Engage with fee earners to manage and prioritise automation work
• Provide training to lawyers on how to mark-up a document for automation and provide advice on the best practice for document automation
• Deconstruct a document into its component parts and apply logic to the underlying structure to assess the level of automation required and to create the automation design
• Understand the relevance of component parts of the document and apply logic to those relevancies in order to create optimal automation
• Automate the document using Contract Express.
• Create and manipulate on-line questionnaires for use with automated documents to provide users with the most effective & efficient user experience
• Test the document automation, record and resolve errors in automation
• Complete all aspects of documentation following the successful document automation and manage the transition of the automated document to production (incl. user & support staff training)
Standard templates and system administration
• Support the administration and user management of the document automation system for internal and client use
• Ensure that the organisation and administration of the automated documents is consistent with, and synced with, the firm’s existing standard form collections
• Provide usage reports as needed
Managing the automation team
• Support and train automation specialists within the London and International offices
• Assist the automation team in creating and updating automated documents
Experience and Knowledge
• Ideally, the successful candidate will be an accomplished document automation specialist with significant experience in a professional services environment
• Experience working with Contract Express is preferable
• Experience and knowledge of working with legal documents
• Experience of building relationship with internal and external clients
• Experience managing projects and meeting client expectations
• Previous people management experience is beneficial
Skills and Competencies
• Ability to lead and implement change
• Highly effective as part of a wider team, and a real team player
• Solid analytical skills – in concept, design, development and deployment
• Ability to use logic to solve complex problems
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail and delivery of high quality work
• Drive, passion, energy, enthusiasm and commitment
• A self-starter with a proactive approach to work, planning workload and solving client requirements
• Have an interest in the future direction of legal technology systems and technology in general
• Must have excellent document production and IT skills and a high level of expertise and understanding of Microsoft Word
• Proven management skills in leading a team and an ability to grow and develop others
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please ask the Resourcing Team about the flexible working arrangements that are available to you within this role.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensures all hardcopy materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ensures all confidential information stored electronically is securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP (“Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner ”) is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: https://jobs.blplaw.com/.