Solicitor - Development & Projects
We are looking for a bright, pro-active and ambitious newly qualified solicitor to join the development team in our Real Estate Department. You will have gained experience in Real Estate during your training contract and will have the opportunity now to gain invaluable hands-on experience to develop your career, working side-by-side with our Partners and other fee earners, including direct exposure to our clients.
You will need to bring energy and resilience as well as a flexible approach to your work. The ability to pro-actively seek out opportunities and use your initiative in supporting the team in an effective way is key to the role. You will be enthusiastic in taking ownership of your responsibilities and matters, allowing you to learn and grow in your profession.
The Real Estate department at Howard Kennedy LLP deals with a wide range property work and acts for some household names in the development sector, including Galliard, Ballymore, City & Docklands.
Tasks and responsibilities
- File management of smaller matters (subject to supervision as necessary)
- Assisting more senior fee earners on larger transactions
- Undertaking a wide variety of work primarily for developer clients including:
- Landlord and Tenant transactions (agreements for lease, leases, licences, contracting out documentation, lease renewals, substation leases, deeds of easement, surrenders etc)
- Site acquisitions and disposals (assisting with due diligence, preparing reports on title, reviewing and reporting on search results, liaising with indemnity insurance providers, dealing with elements of the contract and/or supplemental documents)
- Site set ups (setting up a site for onward sale as residential plot sales)
- Dealing with property aspects for financing transactions
- Option agreements
- Overage agreements
- Liaising with other departments on transactions in particular construction, planning and property litigation
- Involvement in business development
- Involvement in assisting trainees and paralegals
- Experience and/or knowledge in the commercial and residential development sector.
- Experience and/or knowledge in the commercial investment sector.
- A demonstrable interest in real estate and the type of work carried out.
- A strong technical grounding.
- Intelligence and ability to deal with complex problems.
- Have a commercial approach to problem solving and providing innovative solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Organisation: working to tight deadlines where the input of others is often required, keeping a diary, organising files and carrying out all necessary administrative tasks.
- Thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Confident and effective advocacy/communications style, acting as facilitator but also able to take the lead when required.
- Ability to get on with clients and other colleagues at all levels.
- Ability to see matters as a whole and to be able to identify what it takes to get the job done/consider settlement/best solutions for client.
- Ability to manage and prioritise workload.
We are seeking a loyal member of the team who will be a good ambassador for the department both internally and in the wider legal and business world. We also require willingness and an aptitude for business development activity both collectively with other members of the team and an ability to build your own practice. We will offer an informal and friendly working environment in a team that works physically close together and communicates on a very regular basis.