Business Development Manager - Maternity Cover
Norton Rose Fulbright has one of the leading Infrastructure, Mining and Commodities’ practices in the world and is one of our six key areas of strength. Our IMC practice has an impressive track record and has been named the leading global IMC brand in the Acritas Sharplegal Global Elite Law Firm Brand Index since 2014.
The global IMC business development team is at the heart of our practice, drawing all parts of the business together and driving effective management of the sector worldwide.
We are currently recruiting a maternity leave cover IMC Business Development Manager for a period of at least 9 months.
The Business Development Manager, IMC, has responsibility for the continued development of our IMC practice for the EMEA region across all sectors including infrastructure, mining, commodities and food and agribusiness, and supports the Global Head of Business development in relation to our global strategy.
They will plan and lead incisive communications, marketing and business development tactics across both the EMEA and global business, ensuring key objectives in the business plan are met. The tactics will be in line with our global strategy and tailored to local markets.
The Business Development Manager IMC, reports to the Global Head of Business Development – IMC, and the Global Head of IMC. They will work in cooperation with business development teams across the region and with colleagues in Australia, Canada, South Africa, South America and the US.
Overview of the role and responsibilities
Business Planning and Marketing Campaigns
Developing and implementing marketing campaigns which use the full marketing mix to raise and maintain awareness of our sector expertise within EMEA. IMC campaigns are focused on client needs and enable us to strengthen existing relationships and develop new client opportunities.
- Work with the IMC leadership team to implement the annual business plan, budget proposals and campaign plans for the EMEA and global region.
- Oversee EMEA IMC business development activity to ensure regional objectives are met. This includes, but is not limited to, client development, profile raising, marketing and communications (including online and content marketing), pitching and event management
- Ensure that the global business plan is implemented in the region and fee earners are fully engaged in all related activity
- Work with the IBG chairs of the Food and Agribusiness IBG to execute the global IBG business plan. This will include meeting coordination, production of IBG marketing material, implementation of relevant marketing campaigns and ensuring global engagement in the IBG activities.
- Work with the Global Head of Business Development, IMC, to gain relevant partner and associate participation in initiatives.
- Support relationship partners as the lead BD manager on specific key clients
- Focus on increasing headlight engagement on other IMC-relevant clients in our global client programme and other headlight programmes and drive the realisation of opportunities
- Facilitate participation in our client feedback programme; tracking and acting on actions arising from interviews, and assessing how feedback can be used to drive behavioural change
- Maintain awareness of relevant global and local marketing products (e.g. from practice group programmes) which can be used for client development and dialogue
- Working with PR Manager for IMC to identify news stories, campaigns and upcoming events appropriate for media comment by the IMC team, to demonstrate team expertise and support the EMEA IMC business plan
- Systematically measure performance in directories; facilitate contributions across both EMEA and global legal directories using consistent messaging; report on change in rankings and against targets set; refine approach as needed
- Ensure key industry sector activity is brand compliant and adopts our visual identity to deliver consistent materials to market
- Ensure all communication channels convey consistent messaging and present our capability (including but not limited to web, collateral, bids, experience statements, directories, league tables, CVs).
- Adhere to and/or develop best practice to improve efficiency and transparency to fee earners
- Encourage headlight adherence to procedures and best practice with firm systems including InterAction and Experience Management
- Demonstrate and encourage effective use of the Global Services Centre (GSC) and Newcastle Hub for operational tasks
- Work with the relevant regional BD professionals in the EMEA offices to help disseminate best practice across the region
- Day-to-day management and supervision of the London based team Executive and Bid Specialist
- Where tasks are delegated to our Newcastle Hub, ensuring an appropriate level co-ordination and supervision
Skills and Experience Required
- Relevant degree and/or professionally recognised marketing or communications qualification
- Experience of working in a professional services environment (preferably within a legal, accountancy or financial services environment)
- Managerial skills (preferably including experience of managing international or virtual teams) and willingness to take on additional responsibility when required
- Strong writing, editorial and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills - this candidate must be able to demonstrate experience of managing projects and transforming a commercial issue into business development opportunity
- Understand the need and has the ability to manage expectations
- Leadership ability - this candidate must be able to build a strong reputation within the business and deliver excellent service
- Confident, persuasive and assertive
- Self-starter with ability to use initiative
- Excellent attention to detail
- Politically astute - understands when to act and when to ask
- Experience of working with clients - ability to be client facing
Our business principles are Quality, Unity, Integrity. The successful candidate will be expected consistently to demonstrate the following competencies:
- A genuine interest or experience in the IMC sectors
- Develops and maintains relationships
- Focuses on strategic priorities
- Manages multiple projects effectively
- Constantly finds ways to add value
- Delivers excellent service
- Builds strong reputation
- Promotes and demonstrates our business principles
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Philippa Wilson at Philippa.email@example.com (enquiries only - we do not accept applications by email)
NO AGENCIES PLEASE