Junior / Mid-Level Derivatives Lawyer
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Our Financial Regulatory & Derivatives group is an acknowledged market leader. Our work reflects the dynamism and volatility of today’s financial markets, where competitive edge is built on innovation, foresight and speed of delivery. Matters range from repackagings to high-level strategic advice – we are experts in capital markets developments, OTC and exchange-traded derivatives, structured financial products, financial institution M&A, e-commerce and supranational and cross-border regulation. We advise on exchanges and alternative trading systems, clearing, payment and settlement systems.
The group has been consistently ranked highly in Chambers UK for "Financial Services: UK-wide" & Legal 500 "Financial Services" categories. Some of our recent awards and rankings include:
• Tier 1: Derivatives and Structured Products
• Tier 1: Financial Services: non-contentious regulatory
CHAMBERS UK 2017, IFLR1000 2017 & LEGAL 500 UK 2017
• Band 2: Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Securitisation & Derivatives
Chambers Global 2017
• Winner: European & Asian law firm of the year – Regulatory
GlobalCapital Derivatives Awards 2017
• Winner: Best Law Firm
EUROPEAN STRUCTURED PRODUCTS & DERIVATIVES AWARDS, 2016 & 2017
• European and Asia Pacific Law firm of the year - Transactions
GlobalCapital – Global Derivatives Awards 2016
Our Financial Regulatory & Derivatives Group is made up of 15 Partners, 56 Lawyers and 12 trainees.
The majority of our work is international. In addition to the cross-border deals which are our daily fare, at any moment we are usually working on two or three other multi-jurisdictional projects. Our group combines world-class regulatory expertise with top-ranked transactional and product-based capability.
This role will focus on transactional derivatives and structured products, including OTC fixed income, credit and equity based derivatives, asset backed securities, repackaging programmes, collateral documentation and structures, repos, stock loans, credit and equity-linked notes and synthetic CDOs.
We work with global financial institutions and financial market regulators, assisting them in the development and implementation of their structured finance strategies. The innovation and legal creativity which we bring to new financial products and financial market strategies is fundamental to the outcome of our clients’ businesses.
Our market-leading experience continues to attract the most complex, challenging and ground-breaking deals to the firm. And this, in turn, has enabled us to attract some of the best and most ambitious lawyers to assist our clients and build one of the market’s leading, and most diverse, practices.
We operate at the leading edge of developing finance law and the range and calibre of our advice is unrivalled in the international legal market place. Our lawyers work on a challenging cross-section of matters, providing them with unique skill-sets and invaluable exposure to the global financial market place.
• You will be creating new ways of doing business for clients, usually with a significant international perspective.
• You will be working on a broad range of substantial, often ground-breaking, deals for headline clients around the world.
• You will work with demanding clients on the creation of new financial products. You will be using your legal skills to ‘make things happen’ for the world’s leading investment and commercial banks.
• We are the leaders in the field. You will be working with and learning from the most highly respected lawyers internationally.
• Because the Group is relatively small, you will have the opportunity to work on every aspect of a deal, quickly assuming high levels of transaction responsibility.
• You will also benefit from a highly inclusive culture and a keen emphasis on ongoing training, as well as the chance to take a hands-on interest in developing more junior members of the team.
• Our work combines the skills needed of advisory and transactional lawyers.
We are interested to hear from outstanding junior to mid-level lawyers with experience in transactional derivatives and structured products – ideally including OTC fixed income, credit and equity based derivatives, asset backed securities, repackaging programmes, collateral documentation and structures, repos, stock loans, credit and equity-linked notes and synthetic CDOs - either from a similarly high profile private practice or with relevant legal in-house experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
• strong academic background and intellectual rigour;
• first class legal and drafting ability;
• good analytical skills,
• excellent project management and organisational skills; and
• excellent written and communication skills.
We're looking for people who:
• Have the enthusiasm and confidence to engage both with the challenges of the projects themselves and with the clients.
• Have a genuine interest in the global financial marketplace, and an understanding of the strategic imperatives driving our clients’ business strategies.
• Organise and manage their work and that of others effectively.
• Are flexible and creative in their approach and seek an intellectual challenge.
• Operate well as part of a team and appreciate cultural styles and differences.
• Can demonstrate a commercial approach to problem-solving.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
• can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
• can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
• are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
• are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients; and
• are good at fostering relationships with clients.
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.
Closing date 2nd May 2018