Trainee Patent Attorneys - Electronics / Software
Exciting opportunities in a fast-paced environment exist for Trainee Patent Attorneys with CMS, a full service law firm
About the role
We are currently recruiting Trainee Patent Attorneys to join our successful London based team.
You will be provided with ongoing training and development whilst studying for your Certificate in Intellectual Property (IP), and subsequently your UK and/or European Patent exams. You’ll work alongside experienced colleagues and leaders in their field, who will guide you through the fundamental elements of international patent law and how to apply these to your client’s needs.
Responsibilities will include
Assisting in the drafting and filing of patent applications
Patent prosecution at the EPO (European Patent Office) and UK-IPO
EPO opposition and appeal work
Your work may also include involvement in freedom to operate opinions, IP due diligence and litigation
According to Chambers & Partners UK (2017 edition, London) our team was ranked as Band 2 for Patent Attorneys.
Our Intellectual Property group is one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. We have qualified patent attorneys working alongside IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers.
This offering makes us unique in the market. We are the only full service law firm to combine patent attorneys with solicitors in this way.
Our IP clients include blue-chip businesses, universities, research institutes, start-ups and spin outs, growth technology companies across all disciplines, law firms, governments and defence institutions.
Excellent academic track record - minimum 2.1 (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Software, Physics or Electrical Engineering.
- The ideal candidate may have a further degree (i.e. PhD) and/or have worked in industry.
- Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic and interested in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution.
- Attention to detail and thoroughness is important as is a motivated and enthusiastic attitude.
- Flexible in attitude and approach to work. Able to demonstrate effective organisational and prioritisation skills. At times the successful candidate will be working to tight deadlines and under pressure and will be required to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Effective team player - able to collaborate effectively in an established, close-knit team. An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style. Able to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice.
- Willingness to assist across diverse technical and legal areas.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested, please apply online.
Alternatively, please contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, with any queries.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.