Associate - Technology
About the role
Our Technology, Media, Intellectual Property & Competition practice group has an opportunity for a business focused lawyer to join our prestigious team who are ranked highly in both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
The team operates as a seamless unit between the firm’s offices in London, Edinburgh and Glasgow, advising on a broad range of commercial matters across a number of sectors. Our team focuses on work of the highest quality and our clients range from large blue chip organisations to smaller commercial entities. Our main focus is on Technology and Media as well as Financial Services, Life Sciences and Energy.
- A broad range of non-contentious commercial, IT, IP and data protection matters
- Drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts such as collaboration, licensing, supply and distribution agreements
- Providing efficient professional support for partners
- Developing professional relationships with clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising profile of the firm
- Involvement in business development opportunities
- You will have excellent analytical skills and experience of running your own files and assisting partners on more complex, higher value deals and transactions
- Degree/CPE/LPC/GDL (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of IT, technology and data protection issues in addition to having developed strong general commercial expertise
- Appropriate level of post qualification experience in a City, major regional or leading international firm
- To the meet demands of the role we envisage this to be 3-5PQE
- Experience in handling clients in major blue chip companies
- Excellent drafting skills and the ability to translate legal theory into practical advice
- Due to the role being client facing you will need to have confidence, sound judgment, good interpersonal and consultancy skills
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested please apply online.
Alternatively, contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, with any queries.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.