Messaging Senior Technical Analyst
The Global Service Management team is accountable for maintaining and upgrading current infrastructure and applications. This includes responsibility for waterfall delivery, as well as build and run activities for infrastructure and application projects, and is responsible for process improvement whilst ensuring service management is efficient and reliable.
The Messaging Senior Technical Analyst is accountable for implementing Allen & Overy's strategy, design, project transition, operations and continual service improvement in the following areas:
Messaging technologies including but not limited to, Microsoft Exchange, Kemp load balancers, MobileIron, Mimecast, Websense, Lync and Microsoft Outlook.
The role involves:
- Ownership and leadership of day to day execution in the following areas:
- Microsoft Exchange email services including Microsoft Outlook
- Kemp Load Balancers
- Mimecast Messaging Services
- MobileIron Mobile Device Management
- Symantec PGP Universal Server
- Microsoft Lync 2013 collaboration services
- Mailscape Monitoring
- Quest MessageStats Reporting
- Providing a single point of technical leadership on projects. This includes delivery of business funded projects, service improvements (SIPs) and system enhancements (SEs) and by leading the technical decision making.
- Overseeing the transition of applications and services to 3rd line support teams to ensure that services are effectively delivered, understood and supported, so that they fulfil business needs.
- The role holder will provide subject matter expertise.
- The remit of this role is global and extends to all aspects of applications, independent of location.
- Support the firm’s environmental goals and initiatives.
- Participate in the team on call rota
Business / IT Strategy
Work with the Relationship Managers & IT colleagues to ensure the most cost effective, timely & appropriate IT solutions are developed to fulfil the commercial and business requirements.
Develops and maintains successful internal and external business relationships (at senior level), in order to understand existing and emerging business needs.
Architecture & Technology Planning
Providing specialist advice to support the strategy, architecture, standards and roadmaps (which are owned by the Office of the CIO/CTO).
Being accountable for ensuring there is an up to date forward view of IT upgrades required to ensure that applications continue to meet business needs, and that they remain supportable. Ensure that the supporting business case is robust so that funding is secured to deliver the required changes.
Application and Infrastructure Support
Works with the Global Service Management Support Analysts to ensure effective, seamless support for end users to include:
- Support of applications and supporting technologies i.e. SQL Server
- Ensure effective hand over between teams;
- Ensure effective, reliable and efficient end to end processes (internal, external) are in place;
- Embed continuous service improvement and leading by example;
- Develop, as service owners, Service and Operational Level Agreements and performance reporting; and
- Ensure customer satisfaction levels (for example as reported in the Customer Satisfaction Survey) are maintained and reflect business requirements.
- Assist the 3rd line support team when required with the diagnosis of complex incidents/problems. Help identify root cause and actions required to maintain or improve service levels:
- As necessary investigate complex incidents/problems through involvement in major incidents.
- Develop implementation plans for dealing with more complex requests for change; evaluate risks to the integrity of the service inherent in proposed implementations; seek authority for those activities; undertake review of effectiveness of change implementation.
- Define and deliver continuous improvement programmes so that, where applicable, systems deliver a improved performance to the business:
- Enhancements and improvements to services should be delivered by the appropriate governance authority.
- Instil a culture of continual improvement and problem solving; and
- Provide advice, assistance and leadership associated with the planning, design and improvement of service and component availability, including the investigation of all breaches of availability targets and service non-availability, with the instigation of remedial activities.
- Maintain a broad understanding of the commercial IT environment, how the organisation sources, deploys and manages external partners and when it is appropriate to use in-house resources
- Embed risk awareness and management into the technical decision making in order to support Allen & Overy's approach to risk, with a focus on stability and integrity of systems.
- Take part in audits and risk assessments as directed by the Global Applications Manager.
Quality, Methods & Tools
- Champion and ensure use of appropriate techniques, methodologies and tools.
- Provide advice on the application of appropriate quality and/or environmental management techniques.
- Provide advice to the Product Leader on ways of improving the effectiveness and efficiency of their control mechanisms.
- Over 5 years experience in a 3rd line role supporting the technologies listed.
- A deep understanding of Microsoft Exchange 2010 and 2016
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server and networking technologies.
- ITIL V3 foundation
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology. The ability to promote technology within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- Highly self motivated, self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Experience of troubleshooting e-mail components such as Outlook, DNS, SMTP.
- Experience of Kemp load balancers
- Experience supporting Microsoft Lync environments
- Commercial acumen, including an understanding of the overall picture of IT service costs and how IT adds value to the business.
- Experience of working in a global environment across international locations with an appreciation of multiple cultures.
- Knowledge of IT market and trends.
- Experience providing on call support
- Proven track record in providing technical leadership and delivering enterprise wide solutions.
- Experience working within the professional services sector
- Degree qualified – preferred.
- Minimum “A” level standard education.
- Accreditation in relevant technologies – highly desirable.