Commercial / Corporate Lawyer x 3
Department Purpose and Structure
Allen & Overy is seeking an experienced lawyer with 2 to 6 years’ post-qualification experience ideally with a strong track record in corporate or commercial work to join the firm’s dynamic in-house legal team, advising on a wide range of legal and regulatory matters that might affect the interests or reputation of the firm.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for someone who has strong commercial skills who enjoys challenging themselves in the context of a varied and rewarding role.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Advising senior management on the legal and regulatory aspects of strategic projects (including office openings);
- Acting as project lead for the implementation of internal restructuring projects;
- Liaising with offices across the globe on legal and regulatory matters arising;
- Assisting with the management of the firm’s corporate structure; and
- Advising on general legal, regulatory and risk queries.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- UK qualified lawyer with between 2 and 6 years’ post-qualification experience;
- A strong track record in high value corporate or commercial work;
- Excellent communication skills at all levels, including liaising with clients and partners;
- A proven ability to work independently and proactively and take the lead in driving projects forward to completion;
- Self-motivation and ability to manage new and varied challenges;
- Excellent attention to detail; and
- Collaborative approach and ability to work well in a team.
- Experience of working in an international law firm and/or advising on cross-border transactions.
- Familiarity with company and partnership law requirements and/or tax laws.
- Knowledge and experience of regulatory, compliance and professional conduct issues.
Background to the work of the in-house legal team
- Foster a strong culture within the firm of robust compliance but with a consultative, rather than rule-driven, approach;
- Deliver responsive, speedy and seamless global support for A&O's client-facing people;
- Provide a systematic, proactive and forward-thinking approach to the firm policies and strategies on risk management, regulatory compliance, and global standards;
- Protect the firm's interests in its legal relationships with clients and third parties and ensure the firm's legal structures are efficient and effective;
- Protect the firm's reputation;
- Maintain one of the best professional indemnity claims records of any peer group firm;
- Lead thinking in the profession on risk management and regulatory questions; and
- Develop constructive working relationships with regulators, the profession and other third parties.
Summary of our role
- Dealing with proposed changes to the group structure, including the opening of new offices and corporate restructurings;
- Providing the firm's corporate secretariat, including dealing with procedural and other formalities relating to the firm's corporate group structure, inter-company agreements and other relevant procedural requirements;
- Dealing with and advising on third party procurement and other contracts into which A&O may enter;
- Handling matters concerning A&O's regulatory and compliance obligations, including contact with the regulators;
- Handling A&O's professional indemnity claims and dealing with the firm's professional indemnity insurance brokers and underwriters;
- Liaising with the firm's senior management on the conduct of any necessary investigations and inquiries, including relating to any regulatory and HR issues;
- Handling relevant IP issues for the firm, including copyright, data protection, trademark and domain name issues; and
- Acting as a leader of the firm's management of legal and operational risk and enhancing the management of risk throughout the firm.