Business Development Executive
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy is a leading international legal practice with a truly global presence. The firm operates at the forefront of the legal industry. Our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We have developed a culture in which difference is positively valued, and our people are free to be themselves. We are in every sense one global team; supportive and collaborative, but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Our business development, marketing and communication teams contribute to the setting and achievement of the firm’s business objectives, which includes supporting our partners and associates in their pursuit of becoming our clients’ trusted advisers, building and maintaining long-lasting, deep institutional client relationships, winning new clients, increasing the visibility of the firm globally, and positioning the firm as the thought leader and most advanced law firm among the global elite law firms. The function works as one team across the globe with very close collaboration between the central groups – such as Communications – and professionals supporting offices, practice groups, sectors and clients.
We have business development (BD) teams embedded in, and dedicated to supporting, the global practice and sectors groups and this role primarily supports the M&A product group within the global Corporate practice group.
He/she will be a primary contact for the day-to-day business development support for Corporate partners based in London and will form part of a core team (including two Business Development Managers based in London) focused primarily on supporting the BD efforts of our M&A practice. Key responsibilities will include working with BD colleagues and fee-earners on pitch opportunities; working with partners on their client development plans; providing practical marketing support for profile raising activities, such as speaking at industry conferences, appropriate events and hospitality; and other ad-hoc business development support.
Head of London Corporate Business Development
Business Development Managers in the Corporate practice group
Business Development Executives in the Corporate practice group
Business Development Assistant in the Corporate practice group
London Corporate partners and fee-earners
The operations team for the Corporate practice – COO, finance and HR teams
Peers across the wider global business development, marketing and communications team
Role and responsibilities
– Proposals – take a lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London-based Corporate/M&A partners. Help partners on their presentations and encourage the teams to follow best practice. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and international offices requiring the relevant product/sector expertise. Work with colleagues to capture client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
– BD programmes and initiatives – play a lead role in executing BD initiatives and projects, working with partners in the Corporate practice to drive initiatives forward.
– Client account management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the development of strategic client relationships.
– Client listening – support client listening programmes as appropriate; participate in client listening sessions with key clients. Assimilate the feedback into reports for the relevant partners. Proactively work with BD colleagues and the partners to ensure that the feedback in the report is actioned appropriately.
– Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
– Internal communications – encourage sharing of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
– Campaign management – work with BD colleagues, the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
– BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools. Work with PAs and the Corporate BD Assistant to maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
– Additional projects – opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
– Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications).
– Proven marketing experience.
– Experience in a professional services organisation or in the legal services sector would be a significant advantage.
– Enthusiasm to develop an understanding of the global Corporate practice (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involved in this area).
– Good communication skills – both written and oral.
– Strong interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers.
– High attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
– A team player.
– Professional, proactive, creative, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
– Ability to work to deadlines, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over-commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations
Who we are looking for
– A commercial and ambitious individual with proven marketing experience looking for a new opportunity to take the next step in their career.