Legal Support Secretary, Corporate
The role of the Legal Support Secretary (LSS) is to provide a first class professional support service to all fee earners. The support provided will be as part of a team with shared responsibilities and collective accountability. LSSs will be expected to refocus tasks and priorities periodically as required by the fee earners and/or practice area. The LSS reports to the Legal Support Manager (LSM) and is expected, on a daily basis, to create a positive working relationship with the fee earner(s) and their peer group. There are five key categories, detailed below, which describe the core areas of the support service provided by an LSS.
• Client Support - supporting clients and the business needs in a proactive manner across the firm
• Team Support - working collaboratively with team members across the firm to provide a responsive and professional support service to fee earners and clients
• Document Management/Production - managing document processing from beginning to end, involving the Document Production Unit (DPU) where required
• Administrative Support - maintaining overall support through core administrative and communication activities. Managing all filing activities
• Diary/Meeting Management - coordinating fee earner work by maintaining/managing schedules and acting as the key point of contact for fee earners both internally and externally
Specific areas of focus will vary over time and according to the requirements of the team of fee earners, but each LSS will be required to perform tasks within each of these categories at some point in time.
Standard Operating Procedures:
Legal Support Secretaries are also required to adhere to the firm's Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). SOPs describe the common practices which have been established for the following core administrative activities and legal processes:
• Document management systems
• Document house and drafting style
• Audio conferencing
• Fact file
• Managing diaries and meeting rooms
• Planned absence
• Telephone and voicemail
• Unplanned absence
All LSSs are encouraged to continuously work with their team members and LSMs to develop the SOPs by identifying and recommending improvements.
A Legal Support Secretary will be assessed on the basis of their performance. Contribution will be measured according to the individual's delivery against the core role categories identified below, together with additional objectives. Performance is measured by reviewing the individual's ability to demonstrate the behaviour and skills outlined in the Competency Framework and supported by the firm's Values. These skills and behaviours are grouped under ten headings:
• Organising & Managing Resources
• Working Relationships
• Communicating & Influencing
• Commitment & Self-Motivation
• Analytical Thought & Problem Solving
• Leading & Developing Others
• Organisational/Strategic Thinking
• Minimum typing speed 60wpm with a high level of accuracy.
• Good knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
• Previous experience of working in a similar role within a professional services organisation
• 5 A-C GCSE's (or equivalent) including English and Maths
• CILEX preferable. (A level standard or equivalent may be considered)