Solicitor - Construction Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Construction is core to what we do and our team enjoys a formidable reputation across the industry. We consistently win panel appointments for major public and private sector clients nationwide. A number of our team are ranked as experts and leading practitioners in their field by Chambers UK and Legal 500.
Always seeking to enhance our offering to clients, we are building a high profile and highly skilled team to be based in Birmingham alongside the existing Partner, Senior Associate and trainee, and work seamlessly with our dynamic national practice.
Key to the success of this initiative will be an ambitious new recruit who will join an established and industry-rated partner to help drive and develop the practice.
As an existing construction litigation lawyer at a leading practice you will already be operating with a certain degree of autonomy and advising clients on a wide variety of construction and engineering related disputes. In this role you can expect to be involved in:
- Proceedings in the TCC;
- Alternative dispute resolution, including adjudication, mediation and the resolution of claims under the pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes.Specifically PFI and defects disputes;
- Dispute avoidance and risk management;
- Contractual interpretation;
- Professional negligence;
- General advisory work;
- Domestic projects in the main but with the opportunity to become involved in international matters;
- Proactive participation in individual, team and office based business development initiatives;
- Expanding our provision of construction litigation services regionally;
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices and other practice areas, andtravel as required;
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental meetings, training sessions and social events, including travelling to internal meetings or attending via video-con, and contributing to the integration of the Birmingham DART team with the firm's wider Construction Litigation practice in the UK and regional offices;
- Delegating client work effectively to junior fee-earners as appropriate;
- Contributing effectively to department and firm wide performance goals;
- Assist in Initiating, building and maintaining effective relationships with clients and market intermediaries;
- In addition, you will be required to work with Exeter, London and Manchester and provide support on projects not necessarily from the Birmingham office.
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures and;
- Train and develop junior staff (where appropriate).
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at difference levels. In particular for this role we require:
Experience and qualifications required
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Strong client focus;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Flexibility and can-do approach, team player;
- Excellent communication skills with a collaborative approach;
- Demonstrable experience/passion for business development;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills.
- Qualified solicitor with experience in construction litigation
- Knowledge of FIDIC and NEC would be an advantage;
- Excellent academics and training.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.