Commercial Finance Assistant Analyst
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – Financial Management
Role: Commercial Finance Assistant Analyst
Location: Role based in Glasgow.
First three months project based. Frequent travel to London in the first six months including an extended orientation trip
Reporting to: Commercial Finance Manager (London)
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 9.00-17.30, however will be required to work such hours as are necessary to perform duties
- The primary focus of the Commercial Finance Assistant Analyst (CFAA) is to support the firm's client/matter life cycle, including: matter planning, ensuring compliance with client commercial terms, monitoring the progress of matters compared to budget, producing financial reports and supporting pre-billing processes
- Reporting to the Commercial Finance Manager the CFAA will assist the London-based Divisional Business Managers
- The CFAA will also work closely with the Glasgow based Billing, e-billing and rates operations teams to ensure seamless processes
- The role requires extensive interaction with stakeholders both within the business and central teams and therefore a professional, confident and solution based approach is essential
- The role will commence with an intensive project to review and update the commercial terms and charge rates currently held on the firm's recently introduced practice management system
- Produce reports and analysis to support pitching, pricing and matter planning activities
- Ensure that the terms of new client agreements are applied correctly and consistently on the practice management system
- Manage the collection of client specific information to ensure matters are processed efficiently and compliant with client terms for billing
- Monitor the progress of matters compared to budget, ensure regular check-ins with Partners and lawyers and support the billing preparation processes
- Respond to requests for client and matter related information from Partners, lawyers and Business managers
- Produce regular financial reports to be sent to the firm's clients
- Help answer system and billing related queries
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of process by making recommendations and contributing to improvement initiatives
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Analytical and numerate
- Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of an organisation.
- Previous experience in a business partnering role would be helpful
- Good system skills, including knowledge of excel skills (including basic formula such as vlookups, pivots) and working knowledge of Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to flag and escalate areas of risk to Commercial Finance manager
- Flexible, with the ability to work to very tight deadlines.
- Ability to challenge the status quo.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience in professional services environment desirable.
- Prepared to travel to London as and when required