Associate - Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT)
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Succeeding in today’s technology industry requires a deep understanding of the sector and a keen knowledge of the business issues driving change. Rely on Dentons' Technology lawyers in the UK for extensive legal capabilities and experience developed through decades working with a wide range of participants in the sector—from emerging growth software and IT companies to multinational technology suppliers. Among our lawyers are computer programmers and legal counsel who have worked for leading technology companies.
Having worked at the cutting edge of sourcing and technology work for many years, our UK-based strategic sourcing practice comprises not only authoritative lawyers in the field, but also thought leaders. Turn to us for support in structuring and negotiating sourcing solutions that will meet your business objectives. Obtain strategic counsel that delivers cost savings and transformational benefits for your organisation.
World-leading corporations and government entities have turned to us for advice over the years, and we have worked on many of the largest and most innovative sourcing deals across an array of industry sectors. Tap into Dentons' deep know-how when it comes to technology projects in the areas of media, telecoms, energy, transportation, infrastructure, financial institutions, government, health care, real estate, hotels, retail and more.
Purpose of role
Our Milton Keynes Commercial/TMT team ranked [Legal 500/Chambers] and is looking for a Associate to join a growing team.
Our USP is that we provide City quality advice at regional rates. Our team covers the full spectrum of commercial contract work including terms and conditions, high value supply and procurement contracts, agency and distribution agreements, IT contracts, website terms, software development and licensing, e-commerce, data protection, outsourcing as well as intricate business-critical bespoke commercial agreements and intellectual property-related agreements. Our clients are equally varied, technology-based start-ups, an impressive array of substantial entrepreneurial private companies as well as household names. The successful candidate will be exposed to an extensive variety of work and your prospects will be limited only by the extent of you ambition.
Significant clients include:
Sainsbury's Supermarkets Limited;
Total Lindsey Oil Refinery Limited;
Home Retail Group; and Royal Mail Group.
- Assisting with running significant matters with considerable file responsibility.
- High levels of client contact with minimal supervision.
- Developing and maintaining key client relationships, including providing training to in-house legal teams.
- Active participation in business development events and activities, including delivering seminars and writing articles.
Required experience, skills and attributes
- 3-5 PQE , We will consider applications from candidates outside this range with suitable skills and knowledge.
- Experience of working to the highest standards, either in a City or top tier provincial firm.
- Experience in contract law and commercial contracts. An aptitude for IT/software/ outsourcing arrangements and/or an IP/media capability would be of particular interest.
- Experience in assisting in reviewing and advising upon complex, often business-critical commercial agreements involving significant sums; balancing risk and reward and giving sound, unequivocal advice to clients.
- A proven ability to give clear, concise legal advice whilst having regard to the practical and commercial needs of the client.
- Strong drafting skills, and the ability to generate complex, bespoke documents sometimes without precedent.
- Self-starting, with a willingness to take the strain away from clients.
- Used to, and comfortable with, hands-on negotiation of a variety of commercial agreements.
- Good financial management disciplines.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.