Senior Associate - White Collar Crime
The Norton Rose Fulbright Global Dispute Resolution Group is one of the first choice practices for the complex, high-value international work of global corporations and financial institutions. We have particular expertise in financial services, insurance, energy and infrastructure, construction, and transport (which includes our market-leading shipping and aviation practices).
The entry into force of the Bribery Act has led to an increase in corruption prosecutions and enforcement actions in the UK, particularly with the UK adopting deferred prosecution agreements. This is being mirrored globally. Many offences are now focused on holding the corporate entities accountable and the regulation of their business activities. The Dispute Resolution and Litigation Group at Norton Rose Fulbright LLP is a well-established successful team in this area and continues to develop its capabilities and expand the team and capitalise on opportunities within and outside the group.
You will be a member of the Global Dispute Resolution and Litigation group, with access to a broad spectrum of work. The role will be to work closely with experienced partners to help develop further the successful and expanding white collar crime practice within Norton Rose Fulbright Group. The nature of our clients and their businesses means that much of our work is international in nature. There is scope for a broad and interesting corporate crime practice.
You will work with Neil O’May and Pamela Reddy, both of whom are well-known and highly regarded criminal specialists, as well as other members of the Dispute Resolution and Litigation team providing comprehensive criminal law expertise to corporate clients and directors facing investigation by authorities with criminal sanctions, including external and internal investigations and prosecutions and associated issues such as money laundering. You will also work with the competition team on criminal cartel issues and with other teams within the firm on criminal issues affecting their clients/practice areas, e.g. the financial services team and on corporate manslaughter issues.
At present the white collar crime team is involved in 12 active investigations/prosecutions by the Serious Fraud Office covering a broad spectrum of allegations including bribery and corruption and false accounting.
The role will have the potential for the right candidate to progress through to a partnership position.
Skills and Experience Required
- Enthusiasm for business and corporate crime is essential.
- You will be a senior level associate with a strong background and experience in criminal law.
- You will possess a good understanding of the processes and procedures involved in criminal investigations and prosecutions through to trial.
- You will also have experience of the various regulatory bodies (including the SFO, FCA and OFT) and their procedures relating to company operations in relevant areas of business in the UK and abroad.
- You will have a good understanding of Proceeds of Crime Act issues and implications for companies.
- It is important to be able to show a proven ability to assimilate sizable quantities of information and to be able to identify the potential criminal liability and regulatory obligations of individuals and companies in a broad range of situations in which these issues arise.
- You will be able to show an appreciation of how criminal and regulatory liability operates together with civil procedures and remedies.
- Knowledge of the relationship with foreign criminal jurisdictions, their investigation and trial processes, would be an advantage.
- An excellent academic background is also a prerequisite.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Philippa Wilson at Philippa.firstname.lastname@example.org (enquiries only - we do not accept applications by email)
NO AGENCIES PLEASE