About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Main Purpose of the Job
Capturing and clarifying business needs across multiple, strategically important projects, ensuring needs of all stakeholders have been considered.
Translate and formalise business needs into tangible, measurable requirements to enable assessment and prioritisation.
Be the 'voice of the business' within the project to ensure clear line of sight from solution back to requirements.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide business analysis throughout the whole life cycle - requirements gathering, requirements analysis, writing functional specifications, solution development and testing through to implementation and measuring business improvements.
- Formalising and translating business needs into tangible, measurable requirements, enabling assessment and prioritisation.
- Identify, plan and produce data required to validate requirements and project assumptions ensuring that design work is grounded in a data driven set of requirements.
- Capture As-Is processes and design To-Be processes assist the firm to implement these successfully.
- Develop a relationship with the project manager to agree the key project objectives and assumptions, ensuring that formalised needs and requirements remain aligned with the project goal throughout the lifecycle
- Develop a relationship with Subject Matter Experts to formally handover business requirements for incorporation in to process design and technical solution development
- Analyse and report on key project data, enabling the project manager to make data driven decisions and/or take corrective action
- Act as liaison between the legal teams and technical staff, acting as a 'communication bridge' to ensure effective translation of business issues into efficient technical solutions.
- Work closely with the IT team where appropriate to deliver technical solutions to meet business requirements
- Be flexible with regard to some travel, predominantly between our UK offices and from time to time internationally.
- Handling confidential information in line with the firm's data security protocols.
- Assist in Testing and Deployment of IT systems
- Provide staff training of the systems implemented
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyse information needs and functional requirements and deliver the following artefacts as needed:
- Business Requirements Document, Use Cases, GUI, Screen and Interface designs
- Work independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project managers
- Drive and challenge business units on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans
Key skills and experience
- A thorough understanding of project management methodology
- Involvement in projects with a significant degree of IT systems change.
- Knowledge of MS Office suite to intermediate level including MS Project and MS Visio
- Competent in using structured project processes and documentation
- Ability to forward plan and organise own work
- Good interpersonal skills, empathy and an ability to establish rapport.
- Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts
- Recognised Business Analysis qualification – BCS or similar
- Prince2 Foundation qualification or equivalent
- Competent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Knowledge of MS Visio to advanced level
- Ideally experience of working within business/operations areas of the legal profession or other professional services
- Knowledge and understanding of various technologies and their use in a law firm or professional services firm
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.