Senior Associate - Financial Services
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
We work with new financial businesses, with innovative models, to provide regulatory solutions and guidance, quite often with a cross-border element and where the business founders have elected the UK as their establishment of choice. In addition, we work with the following:
- New businesses supporting them in their applications to the PRA and the FCA for authorisation: from payment service providers, challenger banks to fund managers.
- Firms to ensure successful and pragmatic implementation of EU legislation such as MiFID II, the AIFMD, CRD IV, EMIR and MAR.
- Retail banks to produce compliant, customer facing documentation and promotional material for use on-line and in a more traditional branch environment.
- Retail credit providers assisting them to navigate the FCA regulatory environment, including P2P lending platforms, housing developers, car manufacturers and manufacturers of goods offering credit to their customers.
- Global financial services institutions and foreign lawyers.
Business development initiatives to raise the team's profile and expand the practice further, will be fully supported.
Our clients include: investment and retail banks, retail credit providers, pension schemes, insurers, exchanges, platforms, fund managers, broker dealers and other intermediaries, and fintech entrepreneurs. The team is rated in the Legal 500.
Main Purpose of the Job
This is an exciting opportunity for a financial services regulatory lawyer to support and build on the financial services and regulatory practice, located in Birmingham or London. The team comprises corporate, tax, funds and financial regulation specialists and we work closely together.
We also support a number of internal stakeholders within the Firm such as our award winning Pensions Team, Banking, Real Estate Funds and Commercial and Energy teams.
Key skills and experience
- Qualified lawyer with a broad base of technical expertise in financial services regulation
- Broad experience of and enthusiasm for dealing with a diverse range of financial institutions and businesses
- Ability to deal with clients ranging from senior bank executives and in-house counsel to entrepreneurs
- Experienced in advising on UK financial regulations and on the following European legislation: MiFiD, MAR, AIFMD, PSD, CRD, EMIR and the MLR
- Confident in own judgement
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.